South Korean military under fire for ‘lack of discipline’ after series of major accidents


SEOUL: South Korea’s military has come under fire for lax discipline following a series of major accidents in recent months, including the latest involving the Air Force’s accidental dropping of two gun pods from a KA-1 light attack aircraft during training on April 18.

The series of incidents came amid a leadership vacuum in the military that began in December, prompting security concerns due to signs of a weakened defence posture. Former defence minister Kim Yong-hyun and several other key unit commanders were arrested and have been detained for their alleged roles in former president Yoon Suk-yeol’s botched martial law declaration on Dec 3. Vice-Defence Minister Kim Seon-ho is serving as the acting defence minister.

“On the surface, (the series of accidents) may seem to be merely a lack of discipline within the military, but it’s more an accumulation of inadequate military training,” said Dr Yang Uk, a research fellow in military strategy and weapons systems at the Asan Institute for Policy Studies, speaking via phone on April 20.

“It’s the result of inconsistency in military training, with the liberal Moon Jae-in administration having halted and scaled back several key drills and then the Yoon administration failing to revive the momentum of the exercises,” he said.

What the South Korean military desperately needs at the moment is consistency in its training, in Dr Yang’s view.

According to the Air Force on April 18, a KA-1 light attack aircraft jettisoned two gun pods and two empty fuel tanks during a night training exercise held over Pyeongchang, approximately 125km east of Seoul.

No casualties or property damage have been reported as the components landed in a mountainous area, the Air Force said.

The Air Force announced the following day that it had found and retrieved the two gun pods by mobilising one HH-60 helicopter and 270 troops. But it failed to find the two empty fuel tanks on April 19 and said the search mission would continue on April 20.

The accident on April 18 came a month after an Israeli-made Heron – a large uncrewed aerial reconnaissance vehicle – crashed into a Surion utility helicopter that was parked in an airfield at an Army base in Yangju, Gyeonggi Province, on March 18.

The crash ignited a fire, and both the helicopter and the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) were destroyed. There were no casualties or injuries, but the Army is believed to have incurred a financial loss of at least 23 billion won (S$21.3 million).

After launching an internal investigation into the matter, the South Korean army on April 9 blamed the incident on “a sudden gust of strong wind”. The wind pushed the UAV, which was attempting to land on the runway, toward the helicopter, the army explained.

Two weeks prior to the crash, two South Korean KF-16 fighter jets accidentally bombed a village near the inter-Korean border, injuring 38 people, mostly civilians. The South Korean Air Force cited pilot error for the accident.

Since then, the two pilots and two Air Force unit commanders have been booked by Defence Ministry investigators on charges of professional negligence resulting in injury. - The Korea Herald/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
South Korea , military , accidents

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read