Drowning incident at Brunei's Lugu Lake claims life of local teen


An individual indicating where the teen was found in the lake. - Photo: Fire and Rescue Department

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN: A 17-year-old teenager tragically lost his life in a drowning incident that occurred on Saturday (April 12) in the Lugu Lake area.

According to the Fire and Rescue Department, a fire engine carrying five personnel, led by Assistant Station officer Md Hairul Azman Md Harun Tee, was dispatched to the scene.

Upon arrival, initial investigations revealed that the local male victim, aged 17, had already been discovered by members of the public and was found unconscious.

Fire and Rescue personnel, with assistance from the public, moved the victim to a safe area where he was examined by EMAS paramedics.

He was subsequently transported to Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital for further assessment.

Unfortunately, the on-duty doctor later confirmed that the teenager had passed away.

Also present at the scene were officers from the Royal Brunei Police Force, led by ASP Shahassanal Izzat Sahibulbahtri from the Sengkurong Police Station.

In light of the incident, the Fire and Rescue Department is once again reminding the public to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions when engaging in water-related recreational activities—whether at lakes, rivers, or beaches.

The public is also strongly advised to avoid such activities during uncertain weather conditions, high tide, or when feeling unwell.

Additionally, individuals are reminded to wear a life jacket and use a safety rope if attempting to assist a drowning victim. - Borneo Bulletin/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Brunei , drowning , Lugu Lake , claims life , local , teenager

Next In Aseanplus News

Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island

Others Also Read