Husband of South Korea table tennis star Jeon Ji-hee banned for 10 years in sex assault case


South Korea table tennis star Jeon Ji-hee and her husband Xu Ke. - Photo: Weibo

SEOUL: The husband of South Korea table tennis star Jeon Ji-hee has accused the sport’s governing body of damaging his reputation, after it said he “sexually assaulted” a player and banned him for 10 years.

The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) said coach and former Chinese player Xu Ke had been found guilty of “a serious violation of the ITTF Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedures”.

Xu, who was ranked as high as world No 129 as a player, denied the allegations and said the ruling was “a serious distortion of the facts”.

The world governing body said Xu had “been unresponsive to all requests” to take part in the investigation.

A document published by the ITTF Integrity Unit said that in the early hours of Jan 1, 2021, Xu invited four people, who were all part of a training camp, to his hotel room for drinks to continue New Year’s Eve celebrations.

While disputing the findings in a series of statements on social media, Xu said among those present were members of the Korean and Hong Kong table tennis teams.

The report said the victim, who was referred to as “the survivor”, wanted to leave Xu’s room when other players decided to end the night, but he convinced her to stay. - South China Morning Post

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Duterte at International Criminal Court: How he ended up accused of murder in international tribunal
Opinion - ‘I dream he is looking for his phone’: Cambodian mother recalls how Thai shell killed her 13-year-old son
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Two giant pandas debut at Urumqi Water Park Zoo in Northwest China
Comment - What skills will Japanese PM Takaichi need in her ‘Era of Dominance’?
Trump meets Vietnam leader To Lam, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
North Korea leader Kim Jong-un reviews country’s progress at key party congress
Residents in Australia’s Victoria state urged to evacuate as bushfire rages
Umno Supreme Working Council to decide on Bersatu members rejoining party, says Ahmad Maslan
3,685 flee homes as floods worsen in Sabah

Others Also Read