Mystery over Jeju Air disaster remains


Lost answers: The CVR retrieved from the Jeju Air flight which crashed, killing 179 people. — AFP

The black boxes holding the flight data (FDR) and cockpit voice recorders (CVR) for the crashed Jeju Air flight that left 179 people dead stopped recording four minutes before the disaster, South Korea’s transport ministry said.

The Boeing 737-800 was flying from Thailand to Muan, South Korea, on Dec 29 carrying 181 passengers and crew when it belly-landed at the Muan airport and exploded in a fireball after slamming into a concrete barrier.

It was the worst-ever aviation disaster on South Korean soil.

“The analysis revealed that both the CVR and FDR data were not recorded during the four minutes leading up to the aircraft’s collision with the localiser,” the transport ministry said yesterday in a statement.

The localiser is a barrier at the end of the runway that helps with aircraft landings and was blamed for exacerbating the crash’s severity.

The damaged flight data recorder had been deemed unrecoverable for data extraction by South Korean authorities, who sent it to the United States for analysis at the US National Transportation Safety Board laboratory.

But it appears that the boxes holding clues to the flight’s final moments experienced data loss, leaving authorities trying to find out what happened.

“Plans are in place to investigate the cause of the data loss during the ongoing accident investigation,” the ministry said.

Investigators have pointed to a bird strike, faulty landing gear and the runway barrier as possible issues.

The pilot warned of a bird strike before pulling out of a first landing, then crashed on a second attempt when the landing gear did not emerge.

This week, lead investigator Lee Seung-yeol told reporters that “feathers were found” in one of the plane’s recovered engines, but cautioned a bird strike does not lead to an immediate engine failure. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

China renews blue alert for cold wave, strong winds
Enslaved in Thailand, four Odia workers brought back to Odisha, India
RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops
Philippines targets US$2.4bil in new Japan loans this year
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
Myanmar denies UN allegations on widespread conflict-related sexual violence
Appeals loom after former South Korean president's life sentence for insurrection
Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Six injured at naked festival in Japan’s Okayama Prefecture
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel

Others Also Read