Thailand's Phuket governor promises major probe as landslide claims 13 lives including foreigners


Military personnel clean an area following a mudslide in which thirteen people including a Russian couple died, on the Thai resort island of Phuket, Thailand, on Sunday, August 25, 2024. - Reuters

BANGKOK (Bernama): A landslide last Friday (Aug 23), following a heavy rain on the popular resort island of Phuket in southern Thailand, has claimed 13 lives, according to Phuket Governor Sophon Suwannarat.

Sophon said the heavy rain, which began on the night of Aug 22 and continued into the morning of Aug 23, triggered a mudslide that affected nine villages, 260 households, and 817 people.

"So far, there are 13 deaths reported, with eight females and five males, including three Thais, two Russians and nine Myanmars while 19 others were injured," he said in a statement here Monday.

Sophon said the area of Khao Nak, where the landslide occurred, is near the Big Buddha Temple, located in a forest area.

He added that the province of Phuket will appoint a committee to investigate the cause of the landslide.

"An affected villager has submitted a letter to demand an investigation to be carried out,” he said.

Villagers also blamed the numerous large scale, uncontrolled developments in the area, Sophon added.

He said the villagers feel unsafe following the incident and are fearful of further landslides. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Operations halt after nickel hub landslide kills one
Cambodian national dies in ICE custody in Indiana
Yoon gets life term for insurrection
AI summit hits setback
‘Roaring new chapter’ for nation’s cheetah population
Birth control to tame wild elephants
Bid to bring Myanmar back
Fireworks blast kills 12, including five kids
Sara Duterte faces fourth ouster bid over graft allegations
At least 16 dead in gas explosion

Others Also Read