N. Korea missile explodes in midair after launch, South’s military says


A news programme broadcasts a file image of a missile launch by North Korea, at Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Wednesday, June 26, 2024. - Photo: AP

SEOUL: North Korea test-fired what appeared to be a hypersonic missile off its east coast on Wednesday (June 26), but it exploded in midair, South Korea’s military said.

The missile was launched from near the capital, Pyongyang, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

Japan’s Defence Ministry said the missile flew to an altitude of about 100km (62 miles) and range of more than 200km.

Senior officials of South Korea, the United States and Japan held a phone call and condemned the launch as a violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions and a serious threat to the peace and stability of the region and beyond.

US Indo-Pacific Command also issued a condemnation and called on Pyongyang to refrain from further unlawful and destabilising acts.

“While we have assessed that this event does not pose an immediate threat to US personnel, or territory, or to our allies, we continue to monitor the situation,” it said in a statement.

North Korea’s last missile launch was on May 30.

North Korea this week criticised the deployment of a US aircraft carrier to joint drills with South Korea and Japan, and warned of an “overwhelming, new demonstration of deterrence.”

The missile launch comes a day after the 74-year anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War.

Last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a summit and signed a mutual defense pact.

Seoul, Washington and Tokyo criticised the two countries’ deepening military cooperation, with South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol calling the pact “anachronistic.”

North Korean state media KCNA said on Wednesday a mass rally in Pyongyang was held to commemorate the war anniversary, calling it a day of “struggle against US imperialism” and calling the United States the archenemy.

Recently, North Korea has flown hundreds of balloons carrying trash toward the South, including on Tuesday, while Pyongyang deployed a large group of soldiers to build new fortifications within the heavily armed border between the two Koreas, according to the South’s military, occasionally drawing warning shots from South Korean counterparts. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Thai authorities find staged foreign government offices during raid on suspected scam hub
US Secret Service agents killed man trying to unlawfully enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago
Three people are missing after landfill waste pile collapses near east of Manila in the Philippines
England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener; starts with a bang with a 51-run win over host in T20 World Cup
Tragic accident in Vietnam - passenger boat collision kills six, state media says
Former Biden official says US must work with allies to counter China
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
Malaysia weighs response after US court strikes down Trump tariffs
After court ruling, Trump says US global tariff rate will rise from 10% to 15%
South Korean police checking for more possible victims of ‘motel drug killings’

Others Also Read