Kuwait lifts visa ban on Philippines workers


Kuwait said it would lift a visa ban on domestic workers from the Philippines after a year-long suspension sparked by a row over the rights of employers and employees.

An interior ministry statement carried by the official KUNA news agency said the oil-rich Gulf state and Manila had reached an “agreement to resume the recruitment of domestic workers” after a “breakthrough” in talks.

“The countries agreed to form a joint committee pertinent to domestic labour affairs,” the statement said. “This would convene in a routine manner to address any sticking points that could potentially emerge.”

Kuwait suspended all new visas for Philippine nationals in May last year after relations soured over the murder of domestic worker Jullebee Ranara.

Her charred body was found in the Kuwaiti desert in January 2023, prompting Manila to stop sending first-time workers to Kuwait.

It sparked the latest in a series of spats between the Philippines and Kuwait, which is home to a sizable domestic worker population. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean news headlines as at 10pm on Friday (July 19)
Cebu Pacific, AirAsia hit by Microsoft global outage
K-drama star Lee Joon Gi in KL this September
Chinese envoy celebrates opening of Jinping Boulevard, highlights strong Sino-Cambodian ties
'I'm a guy, I'm an idiot': Harith Iskander blames himself for pending divorce
Myanmar marks 77th anniversary of the assassination of independence hero Gen Aung San
High Court rejects Iswaran’s bid for prosecution to provide statements of witnesses; trial set for Aug 13
Microsoft outage hits some Philippine banks
Bakong mobile payment system to facilitate international tourist spending
Microsoft system disruption causes flight check-in delays in Vietnam

Others Also Read