Malaysia and Brunei celebrates 40 years of diplomatic ties; envoys highlights amazing relationship between both countries


Brunei Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Awang Badaruddin and spouse (centre couple) with Malaysian High Commissioner to Brunei Raja Dato’ Reza Raja Zaib Shah and spouse at the Open House function. - Borneo Bulletin/ANN

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (Borneo Bulletin/ANN): Malaysian High Commissioner to Brunei Darussalam Raja Dato’ Reza Raja Zaib Shah shared the achievements accomplished between Malaysia and the Sultanate to commemorate the 40th anniversary of diplomatic relations, including the significant increase in bilateral trade over the past four years, reaching nearly RM10 billion in 2023.

He said this during a Hari Raya Aidilfitri open house event at his official residence in Bandar Seri Begawan.

He added that in commemoration of this milestone, various programmes have been scheduled throughout 2024, such as a friendly football competition the Battle of the Legends in May, where former international football players from Brunei and Malaysia will showcase their skills at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.

Raja Dato’ Reza acknowledged the high-level visits that took place last year, as well as agreements and memoranda of understanding signed between the two countries.

He also emphasised the growing people-to-people relations, particularly in tourism.

The high commissioner highlighted the close cooperation in various fields including education, defence and culture, expressing hope for further strengthening of cooperation between Malaysia and Brunei in the future.

Many top ministers from Brunei and VVIPs were present at the open house function. - Borneo Bulletin/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read