Philippines' former first lady Imelda Marcos set to leave hospital


President Ferdinand Marcos Jr with his mother Imelda in a file picture from June 30, 2022. - Reuters

MANILA: The Philippine's former first lady Imelda Marcos is set to leave hospital on Thursday (March 14), after suffering from fever and a slight pneumonia, her son President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said.

The 94-year-old widow of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr has been hospitalised since last week and was put on antibiotics. She is renowned for amassing more than a thousand pairs of shoes and a vast collection of jewels.

"She's recovering well. She's scheduled to come out on, I think, Thursday." Marcos Jr. told reporters on Wednesday while on a working visit in Germany.

Marcos said his mother is "in good spirits" and wants to go home soon.

"She has been complaining of the food in the hospital."

Imelda Marcos and her family have been accused of looting more than US$10 billion from the country in bank deposits, shares, jewelry, art and property before her husband was ousted by a popular uprising in 1986.

In the last three decades, the government has recovered about half of the wealth the family and its associates were accused of plundering.

Imelda Marcos was charged with civil and criminal crimes, but some cases were dismissed, and a 2018 graft conviction remains under appeal. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Philippines , Imelda Marcos , hospital

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read