Landslides in South Sulawesi kill five, trap dozens


Search and rescue team members look for survivors on Feb 26, 2024, after landslides hit a section of the Trans-Sulawesi Highway in Luwu regency, South Sulawesi. - Kompas.com

JAKARTA: Landslides hit a section of road connecting Luwu regency and Palopo city in South Sulawesi on Monday (Feb 26), trapping at least 23 people with five victims found dead.

Amson Pandolo, the head of the South Sulawesi Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD), said the cause of the landslide was heavy rain and unstable soil conditions.

"Heavy rain has been occurring since [Sunday night], which caused ground movement and resulted in landslides that covered the road," said Amson on Tuesday. A section of earth alongside the road, which is part of the Trans-Sulawesi Highway system, collapsed on Monday, burying motorists and cutting off travel between the regency and the city.

As of Wednesday, the search and rescue team was still looking for victims who might be trapped in the landslide.

Amson reported that following the first landslide on Monday, residents had tried to force their way through the buried road and were hit by a subsequent landslide.

"People continued to force themselves through [the buried road] by helping each other push their vehicles. As they passed, a follow-up landslide occurred, which caused many vehicles and residents to be buried," he said.

Two cars and 15 motorcycles were reportedly trapped. The five confirmed deaths were private workers Wanto, 22, and Miskawati, 24; Emelia, 30, a midwife; Mariama, 57, a teacher; and Ratang, 50. Ratang’s body was discovered on Tuesday afternoon, after he had been reported missing in the morning.

Of the 18 survivors, five were taken to the hospital for intensive treatment for injuries, while the rest were relatively uninjured, said Rifman, the head of the search and rescue team.

Acting Luwu regent Muhammad Saleh and acting Palopo mayor Asrul Sani visited the landslide location on Monday.

"We ordered the head of the Palopo public works service to immediately bring heavy equipment to the landslide location to help clean up the landslide area and carry out searches," said Asrul.

Saleh said the Luwu public works and housing (PUPR) agency and social services should deploy heavy equipment to help at the site and said the BPBD and volunteers should quickly establish a public kitchen. - The Jakarta Post/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Indonesia , South Sulawesi , landslide

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read