Philippines and US to hold biggest war games in years


The Philippines has granted Washington greater access to its military bases as part of the latter’s efforts to deter China’s increasing assertiveness in the South China Sea. - AFP

MANILA (Reuters): The Philippines and the United States will this year carry out their biggest joint military drills since 2015, Manila’s army chief said on Wednesday (Feb 15), against a backdrop of growing tensions with China in the South China Sea.

The exercises underscore improved ties with the US under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, and come as the Philippines condemns China’s “aggressive” actions in the disputed waterway, including its use of a “military-grade laser” against one of Manila’s vessels earlier this month.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Philippines , military , US , exercise

Next In Aseanplus News

‘Stay vigilant even in peace,’ Hong Kong rural leader says in Lunar New Year prophecy
China's Dunhuang draws more tourists in winter
S'pore PM Lawrence Wong arrives in Malaysia for special visit
Budweiser and Heineken face polar opposite fates in China as punters favour home comforts
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch, finds comfort in stuffed orangutan, and charms crowd
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi
EU deforestation regulations seen as opportunity for Cambodia's exporters
Anwar seeks swift passage of Bill limiting PM to two terms
Resistance leader in Myanmar turns himself in to army after clashing with rival force
Motorcycling-Aprilia's Martin cleared for MotoGP return at Buriram pre-season test

Others Also Read