BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN: The Prime Minister's Office here has announced that the temporary suspension of cross-border activities between Brunei and Malaysia will be extended for 15 days, the Xinhua news agency reports.
The temporary suspension of foreign nationals' entry via land and sea ports, including transit through Brunei, has been extended by 15 more days until Jan 15 except for entry and transit travels approved by the government.
Meanwhile, Brunei announced that based on its Health Ministry's risk assessment on the Covid-19 pandemic regionally and globally, the temporary suspension on travelling to and from eight countries namely South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe has been lifted.
"Considerations for essential travel entry into and exit from Brunei Darussalam for the abovementioned countries are now allowed, effective from Jan 1," the office said in a statement on Thursday (Dec 30).
According to the statement, the conditions for consideration of entry and exit travel are subject to review by the Covid-19 Steering Committee from time to time.
Brunei reported five new confirmed cases of Covid-19 on Thursday, including three local infections and two imported cases, bringing the total to 15,470.
Noting that eight Omicron variant cases have been reported, Health Minister Dr Haji Mohd Isham said there is no need for panic as the cases were under control.
As of Wednesday (Dec 29), about 95% of Brunei's population had received at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine, while 93% had completed their vaccination and about 20% had received a third dose.
A total of 98 active cases are still being treated and monitored in Brunei and 100 patients have died so far in the country. – Bernama