GUANGDONG: After epidemic-control lockdowns were lifted in some sub-districts of Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province, a city health official warned that there is no room for sloppiness or slacking off in the fight against the coronavirus outbreak.
“We are now in a critical moment in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, as some new places were added to the lockdown list,” said Chen Bin, deputy director of the city’s health commission yesterday.
Eleven sub-districts that had been under closed management for more than half a month due to coronavirus concerns started to lift lockdowns on Monday.
However, two new areas in the city’s Huangpu district were added in the list, the district government said.
Chen called on Guangzhou residents not to attend mass gatherings or leave the city, and to keep wearing masks in public places.
“We’ve had good news of the lifting of containment in some areas,” she said.
“But there has still been adjustment of closed-off places in the last two days, indicating that the battle against the epidemic is still at a crucial stage.”
Chen said Guangzhou recorded only one locally transmitted Covid-19 case on Monday, which was detected in a hotel being used to quarantine close contacts of confirmed cases. — China Daily/ANN