Singapore sees long queues to buy tickets for S$5mil jackpot prize


Punters queueing up to buy Toto tickets in Hougang on Feb 3, 2021.ST

SINGAPORE (The Straits Times/ANN): Queues continued at Singapore Pools outlets across the island on Wednesday (Feb 3) as punters lined up to buy tickets in hopes of winning the jackpot prize of $5 million.

Tickets for the annual Toto Reunion Draw started on Monday across all outlets, drawing lines of punters for a shot at the draw which will be held at 9.30pm on Friday. Outlets have also extended their operating hours to 9pm till Friday.

To ensure compliance with the Covid-19 safe management measures, Singapore Pools has deployed additional staff during this period, said a spokesman.

"The health and safety of our customers, employees and the public remain our top priority," she said.

The Straits Times visited several Singapore Pools outlets located at Bendemeer, Bishan, Hougang, Toa Payoh and Yishun on Tuesday and Wednesday, and saw the queues were significantly longer on Wednesday, especially during lunchtime. There were generally about 30 to 35 punters in the queues and most of them were middle-aged or older.

The team found that there were ground staff managing the queues in some of the outlets and none at others, and many punters did not use the SafeEntry check-in when entering the premises. But they observed safe distancing and stood behind floor markers, with some minor lapses when retrieving the betting slips.

Despite the queues, punters were able to place their bets within five to 15 minutes.

Several interviewed told ST they were not too worried about their safety or the risk of exposure to the virus.

A 29-year-old punter who wished to be named as Jun, was placing bets for his parents and himself at the Yishun Avenue 5 outlet.

He said: "Generally Singapore is quite safe, I feel okay, I don't really feel afraid or anything, it's just normal."

Another punter, a freelance tutor who wanted to be known Tan, 60, had placed his bets at the Bishan Street 24 outlet. He said in Mandarin that he felt that the social distancing measures in place were adequate and ensured the safety for those in the queue.

Over at the Lorong 1 Toa Payoh outlet, Patrick Loh, 37, said that, as the safe distancing measures have been in place for many weeks, he is used to them. - The Straits Times/Asia News Network

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

86% readers found this article insightful

Next In Aseanplus News

'How much more can we allow the Myanmar military to get away with?' asks UN envoy
China’s richest entrepreneurs attending ‘two sessions’ have seen wealth grow 68 per cent on average last year, Hurun says
Asean News Headlines as at 7pm on Friday (March 5)
US condemns China's Hong Kong moves, working to 'galvanize' action against abuses
China's fiscal policy to remain basically stable with no sharp turns in 2021: minister
News Analysis: How China's five-year plans catalyze its rejuvenation
China’s beefed up R&D spending to narrow tech gap with US, ease ‘stranglehold problems’
Fresh bloodshed on the streets
Joko: 40 million jabs by June
Envoy: US, Vietnam interests aligning amid some tensions

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers