Suicide bombings in Jolo likely to avenge killing of militant leader, says Philippine army chief


Police and militaat the site of the twin explosions in the town of Jolo, Sulu province southern Philippines on y Aug 24, 2020. - AP

MANILA (AP): Abu Sayyaf militants may have staged suicide bombings that killed 14 people to avenge the death of a Filipino leader of the Islamic State group in the southern Philippines following a clash with troops last month, the army chief said Tuesday (Aug 25).

Army commanding general Cirilito Sobejana said Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan was wounded in a July 6 gunbattle in a jungle near Patikul town in Sulu province and most likely died a few days later. Troops have been searching for his buried remains, he said.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Five, including 'Datuk', remanded to help in Penang govt land sale probe
China pledges timely fiscal support to bolster growth
Singapore man who stabbed St Joseph Church priest in 2024 gets over four years’ jail, nine strokes
New study finds children with more screen time didn’t score worse on cognitive tests. They scored better
Singaporean man gets 14 days’ jail, fined RM7,000 for insulting Islam
Thailand, New Zealand aim to triple trade, revive direct flights
China's Wang Yi and Indonesia FM Sugiono to discuss security and economic issues
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
South Korea plans chip windfall fund to back youth, AI investment
Anwar condemns Israel’s E1 settlement tenders in West Bank

Others Also Read