China meets with Asean diplomats to propose resuming South China Sea talks


A People’s Liberation Army vessel firing cannons and torpedoes in a drill in the South China Sea earlier this month. - South China Morning Post

HONG KONG, Aug 24 (SCMP): Three weeks after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced his country’s new position on the South China Sea, Beijing called diplomats from 10 South-East Asian countries together for a meeting to convey its worries about the rising risk for conflict over the contested waters.

During the meeting in Beijing in early August, a Chinese official in charge of maritime and boundary affairs expressed Beijing’s concerns for the “high risk” from military activities by “non-regional countries”, phrasing China often uses when discussing the US role in Asia.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

US offers more details on claim China conducted secret nuclear weapons test
Late bargain-hunting lifts Bursa Malaysia to ends hgher
Net foreign inflows into Malaysian bonds reach RM951.9mil in January - RAM Ratings
Hong Kong shares fall after Lunar New Year break, tech drops
‘Stay vigilant even in peace,’ Hong Kong rural leader says in Lunar New Year prophecy
China's Dunhuang draws more tourists in winter
Budweiser and Heineken face polar opposite fates in China as punters favour home comforts
S'pore PM Lawrence Wong arrives in Malaysia for special visit
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch, finds comfort in stuffed orangutan, and charms crowd
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi

Others Also Read