Home > News > Nation
Friday March 21, 2014 MYT 3:46:00 PM
Friday March 21, 2014 MYT 4:34:39 PM
by isabelle lai
KUALA LUMPUR: Investigators have not received any evidence so far that the two objects spotted by satellite in the Indian Ocean come from the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
"I have been getting reports all morning. There is no positive corroboration yet," acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein told reporters on Friday.
He said he had been receiving regular updates since this morning and no information had been received for Malaysia to positively corroborate that the debris was from MH370.
"Despite all the assets deployed, nothing conclusive has been found and no debris," he said.
Hishammuddin added that the main area of search was still the one outlined by Australia on Thursday.
Stressing that the area of search was huge, he said there were many aircraft and vessels heading that way.
The Malaysian government believes the jet was deliberately diverted and flew for several hours after leaving its scheduled flight path - either north towards Central Asia, or towards the southern Indian Ocean.
Authorities in Kuala Lumpur on Monday asked Canberra to take responsibility for the "southern vector", and on Thursday, Australian officials said two objects had been sighted by satellite in the remote southern Indian Ocean.
Sorties by four planes from Australia, New Zealand and the United States to the area some 2,500km southwest of Perth on Thursday failed to find anything, hampered by low cloud, with more missions underway Friday.
Tags / Keywords:
MH370, Malaysia Airlines, Missing flight, MAS, KL, Beijing
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)