Police recorded 500 cyberattack attempts on Eurovision


Michael Takàcs, head of Austria's federal police, said the attempted acts of cyber sabotage were thwarted. The attacks targeted not only the Eurovision website but also access control systems at the venue. — Pixabay

VIENNA: Austrian police recorded about 500 cyberattacks targeting the Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna, authorities said on Monday.

Michael Takàcs, head of Austria's federal police, said the attempted acts of cyber sabotage were thwarted. The attacks targeted not only the Eurovision website but also access control systems at the venue.

The perpetrators sought to disrupt, slow down or disable systems, Takàcs said at a press conference, adding that no details were available on those responsible or their motives.

Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said the goal had been to ensure a safe and peaceful event. "We succeeded,” he said, noting that no serious incidents were reported at live broadcasts, public viewing events or related demonstrations.

Around 3,500 Austrian police officers were deployed during the final week of the contest in Vienna, supported by special units from Germany's Bavaria region, officials said.

Domestic security services also monitored social media activity, where Leichtfried said an increase in "polarisation and radicalisation” had been observed.

The Eurovision Song Contest was accompanied by several demonstrations, most of which were directed against Israel’s participation.

Shortly before Saturday’s final show, in which Bulgaria came out on top, 14 masked pro-Palestinian activists were detained for failing to end their peaceful but unauthorised rally despite police orders. 

A total of 16 detentions were made in connection with Eurovision, including a person who attempted to scale a barrier around the venue. – dpa

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read