Exclusive-Netflix has ample room to increase its offer in battle for Warner Bros, sources say


FILE PHOTO: A drone view shows the Netflix logo on one of the company's buildings in the Hollywood neighborhood in Los Angeles, California, U.S., January 20, 2026. REUTERS/Daniel Cole/File Photo

Feb 19 (Reuters) - Netflix has ⁠ample cash and could bump up its offer for HBO Max owner Warner Bros Discovery if competing bidder Paramount Skydance increases its ⁠own offer, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

The two media giants have been locked in a heated rivalry over ‌Warner Bros and its storied catalogue, which includes iconic franchises like "Harry Potter", "Game of Thrones", DC Comics and Superman.

Though Warner Bros is moving forward with a March 20 shareholder vote on Netflix's offer, it has given Paramount a week to come up with a more compelling bid.

Netflix has bid $27.75 a share, or $82.7 billion, for Warner Bros' studio and streaming businesses while Paramount has offered $30 ​a share, or $108.4 billion, for the whole company, which includes Discovery Global that houses CNN, ⁠HGTV and other TV assets.

Netflix and Warner Bros declined to ⁠comment.

The creator of "Stranger Things" is sitting on a lot of dry powder that gives it some flexibility to up the ante, the people said, holding ⁠about $9.03 ‌billion in cash and cash equivalents on its balance sheet as of December 31.

MONDAY DEADLINE

Warner Bros rejected Paramount’s latest hostile takeover bid on Tuesday but gave the rival studio until the end of Monday to submit a “best and final” offer. Paramount enticed the board to the table after ⁠informally broaching a $31 per share offer, Warner Bros said.

“Netflix still looks to be in ​the driving seat, but that can quickly shift,” ‌said Matt Britzman, senior equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown. “Price will likely be the deciding factor — Warner’s concerns around funding and regulatory risk ⁠are real, but at a ​high enough number, they become secondary."

Britzman expects Netflix will counter any improved offer from Paramount. "But the real twist is that these deals were never apples‑to‑apples, and it may ultimately come down to how much value the board and shareholders assign to the network business that Netflix would leave behind," he said.

Paramount said it would continue to push the ⁠tender offer it has launched for the studio, oppose the "inferior" Netflix merger and still ​plans to nominate directors for the upcoming Warner Bros annual meeting.

All eyes are now on whether the CBS-parent improves its offer, which Netflix is allowed to match under the terms of the merger agreement, according to Warner Bros.

Warner Bros Chairman Samuel DiPiazza Jr. and CEO David Zaslav said in a letter sent to ⁠the Paramount board on Tuesday that "we continue to recommend and remain fully committed to our transaction with Netflix".

BOARD CONCERNS

Paren Knadjian, partner at Eisner Advisory Group, said Paramount's persistence suggests it thinks it can win.

“Board‑level concerns around financing structure, timing and regulatory approval meaningfully detract from the attractiveness of Paramount’s proposal, irrespective of headline valuation," he said.

Paramount last week proposed paying Warner Bros investors additional cash for every quarter the deal does not close after this year, and said ​it would cover the $2.8 billion breakup fee that Warner Bros would owe Netflix if it withdrew from their ⁠agreement. But that was not enough for Warner Bros, which said the revised terms still did not meet the threshold for what its board would deem ​a superior proposal.

In a letter, the board said Paramount’s offer left several issues unresolved, including responsibility ‌for a potential $1.5 billion junior lien financing fee, how the transaction would proceed ​if debt financing fell through, and whether equity funding led by Larry Ellison was fully committed.

(Reporting by Amy-Jo Crowley in London and Milana Vinn in New York. Additional reporting by Deborah Sophia and Harshita Mary Varghese. Editing by Anousha Sakoui and Dawn Kopecki, Kirsten Donovan)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Nvidia, OpenAI near $30 billion investment in place of unfinished $100 billion deal, FT reports
Bill Gates cancels India summit speech to 'ensure focus' on AI
Meta cuts stock awards by 5% for most employees, FT reports
GoPro names insider Brian Tratt as CFO
Amazon can be sued over suicides linked to sodium nitrite, Washington Supreme Court rules
Southern Co raises spending plan by 7% as data center power demand swells
Apple TV partners with EverPass Media to bring sports lineup to bars, hotels
AMD to backstop $300 million Crusoe loan, The Information reports
Amazon can be sued over suicides linked to sodium nitrite, court rules
New York Governor Hochul pulls robotaxi expansion proposal

Others Also Read