Spain to probe X, Meta, TikTok over AI-generated child sexual abuse material


FILE PHOTO: A 16 year old uses his phone, in Madrid, Spain February 3, 2026. REUTERS/Violeta Santos Moura/File Photo

MADRID, Feb 17 (Reuters) - The Spanish ⁠government has ordered prosecutors to investigate social media platforms X, Meta and ⁠TikTok for allegedly spreading AI-generated child sexual abuse material, Prime Minister Pedro ‌Sanchez said on Tuesday.

The announcement comes as European regulators are cracking down on big tech companies, alleging the prevalence of abusive practices on online platforms ranging from anti-competitive behaviour in digital advertising to deliberate ​design of addictive features on social media.

The three companies ⁠named by Sanchez did not immediately ⁠respond to emailed requests for comment.

GROWING GLOBAL SCRUTINY OF TECH PLATFORMS

"These platforms are undermining ⁠the ‌mental health, dignity, and rights of our children," Sanchez wrote on his X account. "The state cannot allow this. The impunity of these giants must end."

He ⁠said the government would ask prosecutors to "investigate the crimes ​that X, Meta, and ‌TikTok may be committing through the creation and dissemination of child pornography using ⁠their AI".

Spain is ​not the only country probing sexually explicit content generated by Elon Musk's xAI chatbot Grok on X - other governments have launched investigations, bans and demands for safeguards in a growing ⁠global push to curb illegal material.

Earlier this month, Sanchez ​announced several measures aimed at curbing online abuse and protecting children, including a proposed ban on access to social media platforms for those under the age of 16.

On the ⁠same day, French police raided the offices of Musk's X and prosecutors ordered the tech billionaire to face questions in a widening investigation amid growing scrutiny of the platform by authorities across Europe.

In November, Sanchez said that Spain's parliament would investigate Meta ​for possible privacy violations of its Facebook and Instagram users.

Meanwhile, ⁠Ireland's Data Protection Commission said on Tuesday it had opened a formal investigation into ​Grok over the processing of personal data and its ‌potential to produce harmful sexualised images and ​video, including of children.

(Reporting by David Latona and Victoria Waldersee; Additional reporting by Charlie Devereux and Emma Pinedo; Editing by Joe Bavier and Alex Richardson)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

India's Adani to invest $100 billion in AI-ready data centres by 2035
Infosys reveals AI revenue share as sector faces growing disruption fears
SpaceX to compete in Pentagon contest for autonomous drone tech, Bloomberg News reports
Crypto company Nexo returns to US three years after clash with regulators
A 'Facebook warrior' in the US retreats after a Charlie Kirk post got him jailed
AI is giving you a personalised Internet, but you have no say in it
Hackers are hammering Google’s Gemini with prompts to steal the LLM. Every AI company should be worried
Starboard Value plans majority overhaul of Tripadvisor board, WSJ reports
Parents who blame Snapchat for their children's deaths protest outside company's headquarters in the US
Ireland opens probe into Musk's Grok AI over sexualised images

Others Also Read