Trump urged EchoStar, FCC chair to cut a deal on spectrum -Bloomberg


FILE PHOTO: A satellite model is placed on EchoStar Satellite Services logo in this picture illustration taken April 4, 2022. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Donald Trump urged EchoStar Corp Chairman Charlie Ergen and Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr to reach a deal over the fate of the company's wireless spectrum licenses, Bloomberg reported on Friday.

EchoStar shares were up 52% in after-hours trading Friday on the report.

On Thursday, Trump met with Ergen and he telephoned Carr, who came to the White House to join the meeting, Bloomberg reported.

The White House and EchoStar declined to comment. The FCC did not immediately respond to a request from Reuters for comment on Friday.

EchoStar has been trying to shield its cache of wireless spectrum licenses from the threat of revocation by the FCC.

U.S. satellite TV provider DirecTV terminated its agreement to acquire EchoStar's satellite television business last year, which includes rival Dish TV, over a failed debt-exchange offer.

In May, the FCC told EchoStar it was investigating the company's compliance obligations to provide 5G service in the U.S., questioning EchoStar's buildout extension and mobile-satellite service.

EchoStar said the FCC disclosure was "harming EchoStar’s ongoing deployment and threaten its viability as a wireless provider as well as endanger the video and broadband satellite services upon which millions of consumers rely."

The company added "the possibility of reversing prior grants of authority related to spectrum for which EchoStar paid billions and in which it invested billions more, in contravention of long-standing commission precedent."

EchoStar has previously disclosed that it missed roughly $500 million in interest payments, citing uncertainty around the ongoing FCC review.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Leslie Adler and David Gregorio)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

OpenAI expects compute spend of around $600 billion through 2030, source says
Microsoft Gaming head Phil Spencer retires, insider Asha Sharma takes over
SEC probe involving AppLovin still active, Bloomberg News reports
OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Analysis-New cybersecurity rules for US defense industry create barrier for some small suppliers
Tesla unveils cheaper Cybertruck variant, cuts Cyberbeast price to drive demand
Los Angeles sues Roblox over child exploitation claim
Google Gemini, Apple add music-focused generative AI features
ByteDance building out artificial intelligence team in US

Others Also Read