SEOUL, South Korea: Authorities in South Korea are investigating a surge of sexually explicit images and video clips that have spread online and shocked the nation, leading police to detain seven male suspects – six of them teenagers – police said on Sept 3.
South Korean authorities began investigating the images and videos late last month after local media reported the spread of the content, which was created using deepfake apps. Young men were said to be stealing social media images from female classmates, teachers and neighbours, and then using them to create the sexually explicit material before circulating them in chat rooms on the messaging app Telegram.
