Kyrgios out of Australian ATP Cup team as world ranking slips


FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Australian Open - Fourth Round - Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia - January 27, 2020. Australia's Nick Kyrgios in action during his match against Spain's Rafael Nadal. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay

(Reuters) - Nick Kyrgios has paid the price for a year of inaction over COVID-19 concerns after he was ruled out of Australia's team for next month's ATP Cup after his world ranking slipped to number 46 following a 11-month absence from the ATP Tour.

The 25-year-old last played a competitive match at Acapulco in February after deciding to remain at home in Australia when the circuit resumed in Europe and North America after a hiatus.

Each nation have two singles slots that will be taken by their top-ranked players and Australia's challenge at the ATP Cup will be led by Alex de Minaur and John Millman who are ranked 23 and 38, respectively.

The duo will be joined by doubles players John Peers and Luke Saville as Australia look to improve on their semi-final finish at last year's inaugural tournament.

The ATP Cup will be held from Feb. 1-5 in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open, the year's first Grand Slam, and the event will feature world number one Novak Djokovic and second-ranked Rafa Nadal.

"The players are looking forward to stepping up and representing their countries again, and the field, including defending champions Serbia and finalists Spain, is strong," tournament director Tom Larner said.

"This is a format that shows off the passion of the players and we're expecting some spectacular tennis action."

The draw for the ATP Cup will take place on Jan. 20.

Kyrgios, often branded "polarising" for his long rap sheet of indiscretions, had been a galvanising force in raising funds and awareness for Australian bushfire relief efforts during the ATP Cup last year.

He will now play in Melbourne 2, one of two ATP 250 events being held alongside the ATP Cup. Melbourne Park is also hosting two WTA 500 tournaments alongside the event.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Tennis

Medvedev gets another shot at No.2 ranking after Nadal pullout
Chasing pack need to believe they can topple 'Big Three' - Nalbandian
Pandemic helped Swiatek deal with French Open success
Nadal pulls out of Rotterdam Open with back issue
Barty party over in Australia amid doubts over top ranking
Injured Barty withdraws from Qatar Open
Halep pulls out of Qatar Open
Chasing pack not close to toppling 'Big Three', says Murray
Australian Open beats the odds to lay out a blueprint
World number one Barty uncertain of schedule as Osaka closes in

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers