Rugby-Argentine court upholds dismissal of rape charges against two French players


FILE PHOTO: Oscar Jegou and Hugo Auradou, French rugby players accused of sexual assault, are seen at the Ezeiza International Airport after an Argentine court allowed them to leave the country, in Buenos Aires, Argentina September 3, 2024. REUTERS/Tomas Cuesta/File Photo

(Reuters) - An Argentine appeal court has confirmed the dismissal of aggravated rape charges against French international rugby players Hugo Auradou and Oscar Jegou, according to the case file seen by Reuters.

"After analysing all the evidence gathered in the case, it is clear that the version of events maintained by the plaintiff is not supported by the objective elements in the case file," the ruling stated.

"On the contrary, the video evidence, the testimonies, the medical and psychological expert reports, as well as the messages from the plaintiff in the hours and days following the events, have implacably refuted the accusatory hypothesis."

The complainant, a 39-year-old woman, had appealed against the December 10 dismissal of the case and a hearing was held early last week.

"This is the judicial epilogue of this case, which is symbolic and special because it has shown that you can be accused without foundation by someone who lied to the courts," Auradou's and Jegou's French lawyer Antoine Vey told Reuters.

"We've had a succession of rulings that have established the players' innocence."

Auradou and Jegou, both 21, had been under investigation since July 12 for alleged aggravated rape — a charge used for suspected gang rape — in Argentina's western Mendoza province after they made their international debuts.

The two players always denied any wrongdoing and said the sex was consensual.

Auradou and Jegou played the first two Six Nations matches for France against Wales and England, and are part of the squad preparing to face Italy on Sunday.

(Reporting by Vincent Daheron and Ramiro Scandolo; editing by Clare Fallon)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Rugby

Rugby-Waratahs coach McKellar determined to keep Jorgensen fit for Super Rugby challenge
Rugby-Capuozzo back in Italian side to take on France
Rugby-France reshuffle second row for Six Nations clash with Italy
Rugby-Evergreen Slipper packs down for 200th Super Rugby match
Rugby-Crowley to start as Ireland head to Twickenham in search of form
Rugby-Wales select uncapped wing Hamer-Webb for visit of Scotland
Rugby-Furlong ridicule out of order, says Italy prop who gave him 'wings'
Rugby-Right royal mix-up - Princess Anne mistakes England prop Heyes for TV star Marler
Rugby-Hurricanes lose Love for start of Super Rugby season
Rugby-England's Arundell cleared to face Ireland

Others Also Read