Cobras 10s off - on it’s 50th anniversary


  • Rugby
  • Wednesday, 06 May 2020

PETALING JAYA: The Cobra 10s has become the latest sporting event to called off due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The annual competition is the most prestigious rugby event in the country and has only been cancelled four times before in its 53-year history.

The iconic competition was first organised in 1967 but was cancelled for the first time in 1998 due to the Asian financial crisis. It was cancelled in 2001 due to the Sept 11 tragedy and in 2002 due to security concerns after the Bali bombing.

It was also cancelled in 2014 due to lack of top foreign and local teams. Cobra also had their hands full preparing the national Under-19 squad for the ARFU Under-19 Division Two tournament then.

Cobra president Lt Col (Rtd) Tommy Pereira said this year’s event, which was scheduled from Nov 7-8, was supposed to mark the 50th anniversary of the tournament but had to be scrapped.

“We are saddened to cancel the Cobra 10s but there are valid reasons. Rugby is a contact sport. Our sponsors have also been badly affected financially by the movement control order (MCO), ” said Tommy.

“It’s not right to ask for funds from sponsors when companies are imposing salary cuts or retrenching staff.

Last month, Malaysia Rugby indicated that all major domestic competitions, including the Malaysia Rugby League, Agong’s Cup and the National Sevens, will be cancelled.

Tommy said the 10s will be back next year but may have to adopt to a new normal.

“World Rugby may have to make changes to rugby rules, a contact sport which involves many people.”

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site