PETALING JAYA: Controversy has marred the Malaysia Games (Sukma) after three weightlifters were tested positive for drugs.
One was from Perlis while two were from Terengganu.
All three failed in the out-of-competition tests done in August by National Anti-Doping Agency of Malaysia (Adamas) and were ruled out of the competitions during the team managers meeting
The issue however has created problems between Malaysian Weightlifting Federation (MWF) and National Sports Council (NSC), the hosts of this year's 20th edition.
And due to that, the weightlifting competition, which was supposed to start on Monday (Sept 19) had been postponed to Tuesday (Sept 20).
MWF president Datuk Ayub Rahmat decided to ban all the weightlifters from Perlis and Terengganu as per the national body's ruling although only three were tested positive but NSC did not agree.
"I've stated earlier that we will bar the whole team from competing even if one is tested positive for doping. I've made my intention clear to NSC but they want to carry on with the Sukma programme," said Ayub.
"The hosts can carry on but we, the national body have withdrawn all our authorised officials from Sukma. We are serious in keeping a clean image in our sport, thus our strong stance on this."
With MWF's decision, any national records in the competition will not be recognised and NSC will have to find their own officials to run the competition.
Meanwhile, Adamas director Azura Abidin confirmed that three athletes were tested positive for doping.
"We have started out-of-competition tests for only weightlifters since the last Sukma in Perak as the sport has been marred by doping several times. Unfortunately, three failed the tests this time," said Azura.