Motor racing-Mekies takes over at Red Bull after Horner sacked


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria - June 27, 2025 Red Bull team principal Christian Horner before practice REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) -Red Bull sacked Christian Horner, Formula One's longest-serving active team principal and one of the most successful of all time, and replaced him on Wednesday with Racing Bulls' Laurent Mekies.

Horner, 51, had been in position since Red Bull took over the Jaguar team and entered as a constructor in 2005.

Frenchman Mekies hands over at the Italy-based Racing Bulls sister team to Alan Permane, who was previously the racing director.

"Red Bull has released Christian Horner from his operational duties with effect from today (Wednesday 9 July 2025) and has appointed Laurent Mekies as CEO of Red Bull Racing," Red Bull said in a statement.

"We would like to thank Christian Horner for his exceptional work over the last 20 years," said Oliver Mintzlaff, Red Bull's CEO of corporate projects and investments.

"With his tireless commitment, experience, expertise and innovative thinking, he has been instrumental in establishing Red Bull Racing as one of the most successful and attractive teams in Formula One.

"Thank you for everything, Christian, and you will forever remain an important part of our team history."

Red Bull Racing later confirmed Mekies would look after all Formula One operational duties as principal of the Milton Keynes-based team. Horner, whose contract had been due to run until 2030, addressed the team and told them leading the team had been the biggest privilege of his life.

Sky Sports television commentator Martin Brundle, a former F1 racer, reported Horner told him "no reason was given" for being replaced.

POOR SEASON

Red Bull won eight Drivers' World Championships -- four with Sebastian Vettel and four with Max Verstappen -- and six Constructors' titles under Horner.

They have struggled this season with the team sitting fourth on 172 points in the constructors' standings and trailing champions and leaders McLaren by 288.

Red Bull's four-times Formula One champion Max Verstappen has won two of 12 races and is third in the drivers' championship, with speculation rife about a move elsewhere.

The Dutch driver reacted to the news on Instagram, with a picture of him embracing Horner.

"From my first race win, to four world championships, we have shared incredible successes," he said. "Winning memorable races and breaking countless records. Thank you for everything, Christian."

Alpine's Flavio Briatore, whose team have run through a long list of principals in recent years, also posted a message of support and wished him the best with his "next adventure".

"Twenty years at the top says it all," said the Italian. "A competitor on the track but also a friend off track."

Verstappen's father Jos was much less of a fan and called last year for Horner to go after allegations of misconduct were made by a female employee. The Briton denied them and was cleared after an investigation.

"It is not completely out of the blue, given the problems in the team," Brundle said.

"I believe it's performance-related as well. It perhaps makes it more likely that Verstappen will stay there -- I think that became quite personal."

Mekies had been in charge at Faenza-based Racing Bulls since last season, working with CEO Peter Bayer.

"Alan is the perfect man to take over now and continue our path. He knows the team inside out and has always been an important pillar of our early successes," Mekies said.

(Reporting by Pearl Josephine Nazare in Goa/Alan Baldwin; Editing by Ken Ferris and Ed Osmond)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Russell concerned by Ferrari's fast starts and his slow ones
Motor racing-Honda battery issue adds to Aston Martin's testing woes
Motor racing-F1 will thrill in new engine era and Verstappen sure to stay, Domenicali says
Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments
Motor racing-Verstappen says new F1 car is "not much fun to drive"
Motor racing-Alpine to leave World Endurance Championship at end of 2026 to focus on F1

Others Also Read