Soccer-Middlesbrough keen to put 'Spygate' behind them and focus on playoff final


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Championship - Play Offs - Semi Final - Second Leg - Southampton v Middlesbrough - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - May 12, 2026 Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg during the match Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo

May 21 (Reuters) - Middlesbrough manager Kim Hellberg ⁠is keen to put the "Spygate" scandal behind him ahead of facing Hull City in the Championship ⁠playoff final, a game that can put his team back in the Premier League ‌for the first time in nine years.

Defeat by Southampton in the semi-finals had seemingly ended Middlesbrough's season, but Southampton were expelled from the final for spying on opponents throughout the season, including Middlesbrough ahead of their first-leg clash.

Middlesbrough, who last week called for ​Southampton to be banned from the final over the spying row, ⁠are now set to play Hull on ⁠Saturday at Wembley.

"It's been a lot of emotions and I'm very happy to be here," Hellberg told ⁠reporters ‌on Thursday.

"It's been very, very difficult and of course from yesterday when it's 100% clear we can start trying to get to go and try to focus on the game they're going ⁠to play, that is the biggest for most of the players ​and of course for the coaches."

Hellberg ‌said he had sympathy for Southampton fans who had bought tickets to the final, but ⁠insisted that the responsibility ​of what happened ultimately lay with the club.

"Of course, I have a lot of sympathy for supporters paying (for) tickets, thinking they're going to go to Wembley... it's massive for some players that were not involved and tried," the Swedish ⁠manager said.

"It's been weird for a lot of different teams ​and supporters. That is not fair to them but it also comes from the decision they (Southampton) have made."

SOUTHAMPTON CROSSED A LINE

Hull manager Sergej Jakirovic said it was a relief to finally know who they were playing against ⁠in the final this weekend.

"We prepared... for Southampton at least the last seven days. Why? Because they won and they got through (to) the final. And after Tuesday, after this decision, we automatically switched to Middlesbrough," he said.

"But like I said... we know all these teams, we faced them two times, so we know ​everything about them, they know everything about us and then it’s not ⁠so difficult to prepare this game."

Jakirovic said Southampton had broken the rules.

"They crossed a line, 100%. The most ​important (thing) is that they caught him," he added.

"But it's not on ‌me. My opinion doesn't really matter because the independent ​panel brought this decision. My job is to prepare my team for the final and try to get to the Premier League."

(Reporting by Chiranjit Ojha in Bengaluru, editing by Ed Osmond)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Rogers named Europa League player of the season after inspiring Villa victory
Soccer-Arteta not watching when Arsenal were crowned Premier League champions
Soccer-UK sending three police officers to World Cup for 'cultural' help
Soccer-Mane headlines tried and trusted Senegal squad for World Cup
Soccer-Neuer named first choice for Germany's World Cup squad after retirement reversal
Soccer-Neymar suffers calf injury but expected to join Brazil camp ahead of World Cup
Soccer-Premier League set for final day drama with relegation and European spots in play
Soccer-Martinez shrugs off broken finger to help Villa win Europa League
Soccer-Four clubs chase final two Champions League spots in Serie A finale
Soccer-DR Congo forced to change World Cup preparations due to Ebola outbreak

Others Also Read