Don’t pin heritage issue on sec-gen alone


Good times: Malaysia’s Rodrigo Holgado scoring against Vietnam in the AFC Asian Cup qualifier Group F match at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil. — AFP

PETALING JAYA: Johor Regent Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim has questioned the Football Association of Malaysia’s (FAM) decision to suspend their secretary-general Datuk Noor Azman Rahman over the documentation issue involving seven heritage players.

He felt the move was unnecessary and said everyone involved should take responsibility, including national team chief executive officer Rob Friend.

Azman was suspended on Oct 17 to allow an internal investigation following FIFA’s probe into the status of seven heritage players in the national squad.

FAM had earlier said a technical error occurred during the submission of the players’ documents to FIFA.

“I did not agree. To be honest, I feel the suspension of the FAM secretary-general was not right. I do not agree with it.

“In this project, many people were involved in helping FAM – whether in scouting players or other areas.

“Everyone should take responsibility, including the CEO (Friend) and others,” said Tunku Ismail at a press conference here yesterday.

The Regent said he was not interested in pointing fingers and was more focused on finding the best way to resolve the issue.

“To be honest, I’m not here to play the blame game. What’s important is finding the best solution for the national team.

“I’m not here to blame anyone, but I want to focus on how we can resolve this matter,” he said.

Last month, FAM and seven heritage players – Gabriel Palmero, Facundo Garces, Rodrigo Holgado, Imanol Machuca, Joao Figueiredo, Jon Irazabal and Hector Hevel – were sanctioned by FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee for breaching Article 22 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code related to document forgery.

Following the decision, FAM were fined Swiss francs 350,000 (about RM1.8mil), while each player was fined Swiss francs 2,000 (around RM10,560) and suspended for 12 months from all football-related activities.

FAM have since filed an appeal with FIFA and is now awaiting the outcome, which is expected to be announced on Oct 30.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Tunku Mahkota Ismail , FAM , Football

Next In Football

Soccer-Italian Maldera appointed Ukraine coach
Soccer-Mexico City turns football into art as World Cup fever grips the capital
Soccer-Barcelona reward Flick with contract extension after LaLiga triumph
Soccer-Guardiola knows he must solve Bournemouth puzzle to keep title hopes alive
Soccer-Carvajal to leave Real Madrid as Bernabeu prepares farewell
Soccer-Cape Verde gamble on fitness of defender Costa
Soccer-Villa chase first major European title since 1982 as Freiburg await in Europa League final
Soccer-PSG boss Luis Enrique blasts flat display in last match before Champions League final
Soccer-Cremonese manager praises Vardy impact after his goal boosts survival hopes
Soccer-Brazil's Neymar dismisses 'nonsense' criticism, says fit for World Cup

Others Also Read