Soccer-Jackson to miss West Ham match as Chelsea await possible transfer


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - FIFA Club World Cup - Semi Final - Fluminense v Chelsea - MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey, U.S. - July 8, 2025 Chelsea's Nicolas Jackson in action with Fluminense's Ignacio REUTERS/Mike Segar/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) -Chelsea striker Nicolas Jackson will sit out Friday's Premier League trip to West Ham United despite being available pending a possible transfer, head coach Enzo Maresca said on Thursday.

The 24-year-old Senegal international has been linked with Aston Villa, a move that would reunite the player with Unai Emery, his former manager at Spanish side Villarreal.

"He is available, but he's not going to be part of the squad," Maresca told reporters.

"We have two strikers, we have two players in that position and also we know that something can happen before the transfer window closes."

Maresca said he was focused on preparations for the game at the London Stadium and did not know how close a move for Jackson might be. The Premier League transfer window closes on September 1.

The Italian said France forward Christopher Nkunku was in the same situation as Jackson while Raheem Sterling and Ben Chilwell were training apart "waiting for some solution".

Media reports have linked Nkunku, 27, with a move to Bayern Munich and his previous club RB Leipzig. Both Nkunku and Jackson have fallen out of favour with Chelsea signing Joao Pedro and Liam Delap earlier in the summer window.

Chelsea are looking for an internal replacement for defender Levi Colwill, who could miss most of the season due to an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury.

Maresca said centre back Wesley Fofana was happy at the club amid speculation he might no longer be part of the manager's future plans after references to Chelsea were removed from the player's Instagram account.

"I speak with Wes every day. He's very, very happy, first of all because he's back from injury. He's joining all the sessions," said the boss.

"As I said after the Palace game, he was on the bench just to be with us. But from tomorrow, he is with us and can also get some minutes. We are happy and he is happy."

Club World Cup champions Chelsea started the season with a goalless home draw against FA Cup holders Crystal Palace last Sunday. West Ham lost their opening game 3-0 at promoted Sunderland.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Milner set to break Premier League appearance record with 654th game
Soccer-Wellington coach Italiano quits after 5-0 loss to rivals Auckland in A-League
Soccer-FA won't take action against Man Utd owner Ratcliffe over immigration remarks
Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity

Others Also Read