Hannah wants Faisal's attacker found no matter how long it takes


Hannah Yeoh. - Bernama

PETALING JAYA: Find the perpetrator no matter how long it takes.

Youth and Sports Minister Hannah Yeoh has urged the police to continue their search for the person behind the acid attack on national footballer Faisal Halim, despite the case being classified as “no further action” (NFA).

Faisal’s lawyer, Nik Zarith Nik Moustpha, revealed on Thursday (May 8) that the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) had categorised the case as NFA after a year-long investigation yielded no leads.

However, Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain clarified that the NFA status is part of standard operating procedures (SOP) in criminal probes, especially when there is insufficient evidence to link a suspect to the crime.

Hannah, meanwhile, called on the police to honour their commitment and bring the attacker to justice.

"I hope the police will not stop investigating. I’ve read their statement and understand that NFA does not mean the investigation is over. That gives me some relief, knowing that the case is still being pursued.

"I also hope they will intensify efforts to track down the person responsible, because the country has invested so much in Faisal Halim. Thankfully, he survived and is now able to return to action.

"But I don’t think something like this should ever happen to one of our athletes. I truly hope the police will do everything they can to find the attacker,” said Hannah.

On May 5 last year, Faisal was attacked by an unknown individual who splashed a corrosive substance, believed to be acid on him while he was at a shopping mall in Kota Damansara.

The footballer suffered fourth-degree burns and had to undergo several surgeries as part of his recovery.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Perfect start for Pereira as Forest enjoy record win at Fenerbahce
Coach Hazman wants quick response from Terengganu after Malaysia Cup blow
Proud Munoz salutes JDT’s fighting spirit in ACLE triumph
Soccer-Real say they have provided evidence to UEFA to help it investigate Vinicius racism allegation
Soccer-Liverpool’s Slot says football must do more after Vinicius racism allegation
Soccer-Australia coach says Fowler fit to start Women's Asian Cup
Soccer-Marseille appoint former captain Beye as new head coach
Soccer-Bodo/Glimt stun Inter in Champions League playoff first leg
Soccer-Sloppy Arsenal implode in 2-2 draw at bottom side Wolves
Marcus makes his mark

Others Also Read