Soccer-AFCON top scorer Nsue played illegally for country for 11 years


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Africa Cup of Nations - Group E - Sierra Leone v Equatorial Guinea - Limbe Omnisport Stadium, Limbe, Cameroon - January 20, 2022 Equatorial Guinea's Emilio Nsue reacts REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany/File Photo

CAPE TOWN (Reuters) - The top scorer at this year's Africa Cup of Nations finals, Emilio Nsue, played illegally for Equatorial Guinea for 11 years, it has emerged from FIFA documentation detailing a six month ban he was handed last month.

The 34-year-old striker, whose previous clubs include Birmingham City and Middlesborough, finished top marksman at the finals in the Ivory Coast in January where Equatorial Guinea sensationally punched above their weight as they beat the host nation in the group phase and progressed to the last-16.

But Nsue should not have been playing at all, it has emerged as world football’s governing body on Monday published the decision of its disciplinary committee hearing into his status.

The decision, made on May 10, found Nsue should not have been allowed to represent the small central African nation and had previously been sanctioned, as well as having a request for a switch of footballing nationality denied.

Despite this, Equatorial Guinea continued to pick him with impunity before FIFA stepped in more than 10 years after their decision to deny his request to switch to the African country.

Nsue, born in Palma de Mallorca to a Spanish mother and father from Equatorial Guinea, represented Spain at junior level, including scoring at the 2009 U-20 World Cup.

Players who represent one country at junior level can apply to switch international allegiance as long as they have not won a competitive senior cap -- and as long as they have dual nationality.

But FIFA denied Nsue's request to switch because he only acquired Equatoguinean nationality after having played at junior level for Spain.

By that time, he had already made two appearances for the former Spanish colony in qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup and Equatorial Guinea were subsequently fined.

But despite the rulings, Nsue continued to play for Equatorial Guinea including the 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifiers plus competed at three Cup of Nations tournaments.

FIFA's finding gave no explanation to why they suddenly revisited Nsue's status but on May 24 they stripped Equatorial Guinea of the six points they had collected from their two 2026 World Cup qualifiers in November.

Nsue scored the winner in both of those games against Namibia and Liberia.

He was banned for six months from international football, although had already announced his retirement after the Cup of Nations.

FIFA have not replied to previous queries about the apparent administrative slip-up.

(Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says
Soccer-Perfect start for Pereira as Forest enjoy record win at Fenerbahce
Proud Munoz salutes JDT’s fighting spirit in ACLE triumph
Coach Hazman wants quick response from Terengganu after Malaysia Cup blow
Soccer-Real say they have provided evidence to UEFA to help it investigate Vinicius racism allegation
Soccer-Liverpool’s Slot says football must do more after Vinicius racism allegation
Soccer-Australia coach says Fowler fit to start Women's Asian Cup
Soccer-Marseille appoint former captain Beye as new head coach

Others Also Read