Boxing-Wardley activates rematch clause with Dubois


Boxing - Fabio Wardley v Daniel Dubois - WBO World Heavyweight Title - Co-Op Live Arena, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Daniel Dubois in action during his fight against Fabio Wardley Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge

LONDON, May 15 (Reuters) - Fabio ⁠Wardley has activated a rematch clause to try ⁠and take back the WBO heavyweight title he lost ‌to fellow-Briton Daniel Dubois in Manchester last weekend.

That fight was stopped in the 11th round with Wardley bloodied and battered but refusing to ​give in.

Promoter Frank Warren said then ⁠that there was a rematch ⁠clause and Wardley, 31, told Sky Sports television on Friday ⁠it ‌had been activated.

"The boxing world knows my character, and Saturday night proved that without a shred ⁠of doubt," said Wardley, who did not say ​when the ‌rematch might happen.

"It was a fight for the ages, ⁠but I ​made some mistakes that I will rectify in the rematch. Congratulations to Daniel, but I'm coming for you... and my belt."

Ukraine's ⁠Oleksandr Usyk, the once undisputed champion ​who holds the WBA, WBC and IBF belts after relinquishing the WBO one, is next in the spotlight when he ⁠fights Dutch former kickboxer Rico Verhoeven on May 23 in Egypt.

While Usyk's WBC title will be on the line, the WBA has said their belt will not be at ​stake and Verhoeven would only gain a ⁠ranking if he wins -- a stance echoed by the IBF.

"If ​Usyk loses on May 23, 2026, ‌the IBF heavyweight title will ​be declared vacant immediately," they said in a statement on Thursday.

(Reporting by Alan BaldwinEditing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read