Jonatan pauses to regroup after loss to Canadian at home


Overjoyed: Victor Lai (right) never expected to make history as the first Canadian to win the Indonesian Open by beating Jonatan Christie. — Reuters

PETALING JAYA: Defeat in the Indonesian Open final on Sunday proved to be a bitter blow for Jonatan Christie, with the former Asian champion deciding to take a short break from badminton to recharge mentally.

Jonatan, who was Indonesia’s top hope of ending a 12-year wait for a home men’s singles champion since Simon Santoso’s feat in 2012, went down 19-21, 8-21 to Canada’s Victor Lai.

The Indonesian admitted that he was under immense pressure heading into the final and struggled to cope with the expectations against Victor. Jonatan has also endured a difficult spell in recent weeks.

He was part of the Indonesian team that failed to reach the knockout stage of the Thomas Cup Finals in Horsens last month for the first time, and also suffered a first round exit at the Singapore Open last week.

As such, he hopes to take some time away from the sport before turning his attention to two major assignments, the World Championships in New Delhi in August and the Asian Games in Aichi-Nagoya in September.

“There are still major tournaments coming up this year, including the World Championships and the Asian Games, so there is still plenty for me to aim for.

“But right now, my focus is on taking a short break and clearing my mind. I want to step away from badminton for a while and give myself time to relax after three straight weeks of competition.

“Once I’ve had the chance to recharge mentally, I can start focusing on what lies ahead,” said Jonatan after the final.

As for Victor, he admitted that he never expected to make history as the first Canadian to win the Indonesian Open.

Adding to the significance of the achievement was the presence of Malaysian-born coach Lim Yin Siong, who has been working with him since the Thailand Open three weeks ago.

Yin Siong has been responsible for coaching and guiding Victor during his tournament assignments in Asia.

However, Victor remains under the guidance of his main coach, Cathy Hoi, who continues to keep a close watch on his development.

“I never would have imagined I’d win a Super 1000 title, and it’s like I’m dreaming still. The past couple of nights I’ve been thinking about scenarios in my head, and I’m glad that one of them came true.

“I think it shows that you have got to believe. In Canada, we might not have the support or the firepower as other countries, but if you believe, you can do it,” said Victor in a post match interview with BWF.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Jonatan Christie , Badminton , BWF , Victor Lai

Next In Badminton

Sze Fei-Izzuddin bow out as defending champs end all-Malaysian semi-final hopes
Reliable Aaron-Wooi Yik assure bronze after reaching semis in worlds
Shu Xuan out to prove doubters wrong at Sukma
Soon Huat-Shevon turn disappointment into renewed motivation
Arif-Roy King prove partnership worth keeping despite World Championships exit
Erfan, a Chong Wei fan, ends Sukma campaign on hopeful note
Sze Fei-Izzuddin keep underdog mindset after�q-final breakthrough
Ler Qi puts friendship on hold to beat Shan Zi for Selangor’s win
Diarrhoea puts paid to Kai Wun’s hopes
Jun Hao pushed Shifeng but slow start proves costly

Others Also Read