Doping-US sprinter Knighton banned for four years for doping violation


FILE PHOTO: Paris 2024 Olympics - Athletics - Men's 200m Semi-Finals - Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France - August 07, 2024. Erriyon Knighton of United States reacts after winning semi final 3. REUTERS/Sarah Meyssonnier/ File Photo

(Reuters) - American sprinter Erriyon Knighton was handed a four-year ban for an Anti-Doping Rule Violation after the Court of Arbitration for Sport partially upheld appeals by World Athletics and the World Anti-Doping Agency on Friday.

His ban is effective from Friday with credit for the provisional suspension he served between April 12 and June 19 last year, preventing the 21-year-old from competing at the upcoming World Championships in Tokyo.

Knighton, a 200 metres world silver medallist in 2023, was charged with an ADRV in May 2024 when an out-of-competition doping test revealed the presence of Epitrenbolone, an anabolic steroid on WADA's prohibited list.

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) attempted to sanction Knighton but an Arbitration Tribunal said he should not be banned as he bore no fault or negligence in connection to the use and presence of the substance.

The decision had cleared him to compete in the U.S. Olympic trials.

However, World Athletics and the global anti-doping body appealed to sport's highest court against USADA and Knighton to set aside the Tribunal's decision and both appeals were considered jointly.

"WA and WADA considered that the evidence submitted by the athlete and his explanations of a meat contamination scenario fell short of the required proof of source and were statistically impossible," CAS said in a statement.

"Knighton argued that the ADRV was caused by the ingestion of an oxtail dish contaminated with trenbolone."

Trenbolone is a known livestock growth promoter used legally in beef cattle produced in and exported to the United States.

"The CAS Panel determined that there is no proof that would support the conclusion that oxtail imported into the USA would be likely to contain trenbolone residues at the level required to have caused the athlete's Adverse Analytical Finding," it added.

Although CAS upheld the appeal for a four-year ban, they only partially granted their request to disqualify all his results since March 2024. He has been disqualified retroactively from March 26-April 12, 2024.

(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Kevin Liffey and Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Athletics

Athletics-Britain's Hodgkinson smashes world indoor 800m record in Lievin
Shot putter Ziyad turns into a ‘night owl’, feels fresher during Ramadan
Athletics-Ethiopian Kitata wins Seville Marathon in photo finish
A relaxed Azeem runs into record books, eyeing for more speed
Athletics-Yamanishi sets half marathon race walk world record in Kobe
Azeem rewrites 200m indoor record at Tiger Paw
Azeem misses final by a whisker, turns focus to SEC
Azeem misses final by a whisker, but shows he's on track
Coaching boost to power track revival
Teen star Danish sticks with family set-up for success on track

Others Also Read