Lula, Trump discuss tariffs in phone call, Brazil says


FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump and Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva meet on the sidelines of the 47th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, October 26, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/ File Photo

BRASILIA, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Brazil's ⁠President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and U.S. ⁠President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Fridayand ‌discussed tariffs Washington recently imposed on Brazilian goods, according to a statement from Brazil's government.

During the call, Lula reiterated that negotiations are the best ​way to resolve the dispute, while ⁠Trump suggested that officials ⁠from both countries meet as soon as possible, the statement ⁠said.

The ‌U.S. government announced 25% tariffs last month on some Brazilian goods, alleging unfair trade practices, as ⁠well as 12.5% tariffs on goods from dozens ​of nations, ‌including Brazil, linked to allegations of lax enforcement of ⁠forced labor ​bans.

Lula said in the statement that the tariffs would harm both economies and that the allegations cited by Washington to justify ⁠the measures, including concerns over deforestation, ​intellectual property, corruption, Brazil's Pix instant payment system, ethanol and imports allegedly tied to forced labor, were unfounded.

Earlier this month, ⁠Brazil started a process seeking further consultations with U.S. trade authorities, a move that could lead to measures against Washington.

Lula reiterated in the call Brazil's interest in cooperating with ​the U.S. to combat organized crime, ⁠but said criminal gangs operating in Brazil should not be ​equated with terrorist organizations, the label ‌Washington applied to two of ​them in May.

(Reporting by Lisandra Paraguassu; Writing by Isabel Teles, Editing by Franklin Paul and Rod Nickel)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read