Venezuela's Maduro adds Sean 'Diddy' Combs' lawyer to defense team


Captured Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro arrives at the Downtown Manhattan Heliport, as he heads towards the Daniel Patrick Moynihan United States Courthouse in Manhattan for an initial appearance to face U.S. federal charges including narco-terrorism, conspiracy, drug trafficking, money laundering and others in New York City, U.S., January 5, 2026. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz

NEW YORK, June ⁠4 (Reuters) - Nicolas Maduro has added a lawyer who represented hip-hop mogul Sean "Diddy" ⁠Combs at trial to his defense team, court records showed on Thursday, ‌as the ousted Venezuelan president prepares to fight the U.S. drug trafficking charges he faces.

• Anna Estevao of law firm Harris Trzaskoma was part of the team that secured acquittals for Combs on ​sex trafficking and racketeering charges, which could have landed ⁠him in prison for life.

• Combs ⁠was found guilty on two lesser prostitution-related counts and is serving a 50-month prison ⁠sentence ‌at a federal lockup in New Jersey. He is appealing his convictions and his sentence.

• Maduro has pleaded not guilty to narcoterrorism and drug ⁠trafficking charges. He is jailed in Brooklyn aheadof trial.

• ​Estevao was added to ‌the defense team two days after Harris Trzaskoma announced that Maduro's Washington-based defense ⁠lawyer Barry ​Pollack was joining the firm. Pollack had previously been with thefirm Harris St. Laurent.

• At Combs' trial, Estevao cross-examined star prosecution witness Casandra Ventura, Combs' ex-girlfriend. Ventura had accused the Bad ⁠Boy Records founder of forcing her to take ​part in degrading sexual performances.

• Estevao showed jurors emails and text messages, some of which were sexually explicit, from early in Combs' and Ventura's relationship to try to portray ⁠her as a willing participant in the drug-fueled performances.

• Maduro is due to appear in federal court in Manhattan on June 30 for a hearing at which his lawyers are expected to discuss the pre-trial motions they plan to make to ​try to get the charges dismissed.

• Pollack has signaled he ⁠is prepared to challenge the legality of what he called Maduro's "abduction" by the U.S. ​military during a January 3 raid on his ‌home in Caracas.

• A spokesperson for the Manhattan ​U.S. Attorney's office, which brought the charges against Combs and Maduro, declined to comment.

(Reporting by Luc Cohen in New York; Editing by Mark Porter)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Russian missile attack kills 10 in Ukraine's Kharkiv region, officials say
Pakistan top court orders ex-PM Imran Khan be moved to hospital from jail, his party says
Swedish opposition holds big lead ahead of September vote, poll shows
Russia warns Britain of 'consequences' for supplying drones to Ukraine
Philippines sees no impact on defence ties from US Middle East redeployment
Indonesian court begins trial of daycare staffers in alleged child abuse case
Climate damage: the next hit to Europe's public finances
Russia downs 180 drones in Moscow region overnight, mayor says
Vessel struck by unknown projectile in Strait of Hormuz, crew casualty reported, UKMTO says
Hormuz crossings rise slightly from weekend, remain in single digits, data shows

Others Also Read