Roundup: Authorities beef up Ebola response as WHO confirms 82 cases in DR Congo


By Shi YuWang Lu

KINSHASA/GENEVA, May 22 (Xinhua) -- With the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and neighboring countries tightening public health and travel controls, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday that 82 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, with seven confirmed deaths.

During a press conference, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that the epidemic is much larger, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.

TIGHTENED RESPONSE

The escalation has prompted the DRC's Ituri Province, the outbreak's epicenter, to restrict public gatherings, suspend funeral wakes, and tighten rules on burials and the transport of bodies.

On Friday, Ituri Governor Johnny Luboya signed an emergency directive to contain the spread of the Ebola virus, including limiting public gatherings, demonstrations, and parties to no more than 50 people.

Funeral wakes have been suspended, with burials required to be carried out under strict health protocols. The directive also bans the transport of bodies by motorcycle, private vehicles, public transport, or any other means, allowing only ambulances operated by Ebola response teams.

Meanwhile, the WHO also revised its risk assessment to "very high" at the national level, while remaining "high" at the regional level and "low" globally.

"It would be a big mistake to underestimate it, especially with a virus of this strain, Bundibugyo, for which we don't have a vaccine," Mohamed Yakub Janabi, WHO regional director for Africa, told media in Geneva.

In the DRC, the ongoing outbreak, initially identified in Ituri, has now spread to North Kivu and South Kivu provinces.

On Thursday, the March 23 Movement (M23) rebel group confirmed a case in Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu. The group, which has controlled the city since February 2025, said the patient, a 28-year-old man, had traveled from Kisangani, the capital of Tshopo Province, and died before his diagnosis was confirmed.

NEIGHBOURS ON HIGH ALERT

Rwanda's Health Ministry said Friday that there are no Ebola cases in the country, and that health screening and vigilance have been reinforced at land entry points along the border with the DRC.

"In addition, enhanced entry control measures are being implemented at Kigali International Airport for inbound travelers to Rwanda," the ministry added.

Uganda has so far recorded two confirmed cases - a situation currently assessed by the WHO as stable. On Thursday, the government announced the suspension of all public transport between Uganda and the DRC, with the measure taking effect within 48 hours, except for cargo and food transport.

"There is an urgent need for solidarity and support, rather than travel restrictions or bans. We need humanitarian access. We need flights to go there. We need to stand with the local authorities and all the NGOs working there. It is the time for solidarity," virologist Muhammad Munir said at a press conference alongside Tedros.

SEARCH FOR TREATMENT UNDERWAY

The less common Bundibugyo strain has made the current Ebola outbreak more difficult to contain.

According to Tedros, unlike many previous Ebola outbreaks caused by the Zaire virus, this outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, for which there are no approved vaccines or therapeutics. There have only been two previous Bundibugyo outbreaks, in Uganda in 2007 and the DRC in 2012.

Tedros said WHO's R&D Blueprint has convened its technical advisory group on therapeutics, which recommended prioritizing two monoclonal antibodies for advancement into clinical trials.

WHO Chief Scientist Sylvie Briand revealed that the antiviral Obeldesivir could be used among Ebola contacts to prevent them from developing the disease.

Briand said vaccine options for the Bundibugyo strain are still under review, with no candidate ready for immediate deployment.

She said that Ervebo, the licensed vaccine against the Zaire Ebola virus, is not considered a primary option as evidence of cross-protection remains limited, while more targeted candidates would still require additional data, doses, and trial preparation.

The outbreak is unfolding in one of the DRC's most fragile regions, long affected by armed conflict, population displacement, and limited access to health services.

Tedros said that intensified fighting in recent months has caused more than 100,000 people to be newly displaced. Across Ituri and North Kivu, around four million people need urgent humanitarian assistance, two million are displaced, and 10 million face acute food insecurity.

On Thursday, in Rwampara, the outbreak's epicenter in Ituri, angry residents set fire to an Ebola treatment site after demanding the return of the body of a community member who had died after being admitted to the center.

Tedros also referred to the incident, saying there was "significant distrust of outside authorities" among local communities. "Building trust in affected areas is critical to a successful response and one of WHO's highest priorities," he added. Enitem

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Denmark's centre-right coalition talks break down, prolonging political deadlock
Zimbabwe designates critical minerals for export, shareholding controls
Zimbabwe exclusively reserves small-scale gold mining for locals
Africa CDC proposes continental Ebola response team in Uganda
Poland receives first F-35 fighter jets on NATO's eastern flank from U.S.
Shanghai moves into CBA Finals after 24-year absence
Le Pen says France should quit NATO command structure
Urgent: Kevin Warsh sworn in as U.S. Fed chair for four-year term
Slovenia approves Jansa as PM-designate, paving way for reforms
Swiss widen sanctions against Russia, Belarus in line with EU measures

Others Also Read