Syrian soldier killed, 18 people wounded by car bomb in Damascus


Smoke rises from a fire following a car bomb explosion in Damascus, Syria, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. Social Media/via REUTERS

May 19 (Reuters) - ⁠One Syrian soldier was ⁠killed and at least 18 ‌people were wounded by a car bomb that exploded on Tuesday outside ​a Defence Ministry ⁠building in Damascus, ⁠authorities said.

Soldiers had discovered a different ⁠bomb ‌near the building in the capital's ⁠Bab Sharqi district and were trying ​to ‌dismantle it when the car ⁠bomb ​went off nearby, the Defence Ministry said in a statement ⁠carried by state media.

The ​head of Syria's ambulance and emergency directorate, Najib al-Nassan, told ⁠state-owned agency SANA that 18 injured people had been taken to hospitals after the ​explosion.

No group immediately ⁠claimed responsibility for the attack.

(Reporting ​by Feras Dalatey, ‌Jana Choukeir and Khalil ​Ashawi; Editing by Andrew Heavens and Alison Williams)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read