Iran halts tanker traffic at Strait of Hormuz after Israeli strikes on Lebanon


A woman stands among the ruins of her family home, which was destroyed by an Israeli strike, amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah, as the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran continues, in Tyre, Lebanon, March 24, 2026. — Reuters/Manu Brabo

ISTANBUL: Oil tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has been halted following Israeli attacks on Lebanon, Anadolu Ajansi reported, citing Iran’s Fars News Agency.

The report said tanker movements stopped in parallel with the Israeli strikes, without providing further operational details.

Earlier in the day, after US President Donald Trump accepted Iran’s conditions and a ceasefire was established, two oil tankers were granted permission to pass safely through the strategic waterway, Fars added.

The Israeli army said on Wednesday (April 8) it struck more than 100 sites "within 10 minutes” across multiple areas in Beirut, the Beqaa Valley, and southern Lebanon, marking the "largest” coordinated strike since the start of the current offensive.

Trump on Tuesday (April 7) announced a two-week ceasefire with Iran, saying Tehran presented a "workable” 10-point proposal for negotiations.

The ceasefire announcement came less than two hours before the expiry of a deadline Trump had repeatedly extended for Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and accept an agreement or face "the destruction of an entire civilisation.” — Bernama-Anadolu

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read