Russia launches first rocket from repaired Baikonur launch pad


A Soyuz-2.1a rocket booster with a Progress MS-33 cargo spacecraft blasts off to the International Space Station (ISS) from the launch pad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan March 22, 2026, in this still image taken from video. Roscosmos/Handout via REUTERS

MOSCOW, March 22 (Reuters) - ⁠Russia launched a Soyuz rocket from a ⁠repaired launch pad at its Baikonur cosmodrome ‌in Kazakhstan on Sunday, restoring its capability to fly to the International Space Station for the first time since the ​launch pad was damaged last ⁠year.

At 1200 GMT, a ⁠Soyuz-2.1a rocket carrying the Progress MS-33 cargo spacecraft ⁠lifted off ‌and was placed into orbit, Russia's space agency said. The spacecraft is ⁠expected to dock with the International Space ​Station on ‌March 24.

The launch pad had been out of ⁠commission since ​it was badly damaged in November when a Soyuz MS-28 spacecraft with two Russian cosmonauts and one ⁠NASA astronaut on board blasted ​off. No one was hurt and the crew safely reached the space station, but the incident deprived ⁠Russia of its sole means of sending crew or cargo back to the ISS for months.

While Russia has other cosmodromes on its own territory ​and Baikonur has other launch ⁠sites, the damaged launch pad was the only ​one able to handle the ‌Soyuz rocket that carries crew ​capsules and Progress cargo vehicles to the ISS.

(Reporting by Maxim RodionovEditing by Peter Graff)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Turkey orders police to evict ousted opposition leadership from headquarters
Russia says it hit Ukraine with hypersonic and ballistic missiles, state news agencies report
Cyprus votes for new parliament with corruption and living costs in focus
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
At least 24 killed in Pakistan train blast claimed by separatist militants
Axios says proposed US-Iran deal involves opening strait during 60-day ceasefire extension
'Fjord' by Romania's Cristian Mungiu wins Cannes' top prize
Gunman dies in shootout outside White House
Russia strikes Kyiv with massive missile and drone attack, killing four
Flash: Secret Service takes down gunman after he fired multiple gunshots near White House: media

Others Also Read