US judge throws out immigration board's ruling endorsing Trump mass detention policy


U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers carry out detentions, as part of U.S. President Donald's Trump's immigraton policy, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S., January 6, 2026. REUTERS/Tim Evans

(Corrects day of the week in ⁠paragraphs 1, 12)

Feb 18 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Wednesday threw out an administrative ⁠board's decision that endorsed the Trump administration's policy of placing thousands of people arrested during ‌its immigration crackdown in mandatory detention without a chance to be released on bond.

U.S. District Judge Sunshine Sykes in Riverside, California, vacated the decision by the Board of Immigration Appeals after finding the administration had failed to comply with an earlier order ​she issued declaring the underlying policy unlawful.

Sykes, who was appointed by ⁠former Democratic President Joe Biden, called ⁠the administration's actions "shameless" and accused it of trying to "continue their campaign of illegal action" by still refusing to ⁠grant ‌bond hearings even after her ruling.

"Respondents have far crossed the boundaries of constitutional conduct," Sykes wrote.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Justice, which oversees the board, ⁠did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Under federal immigration ​law, "applicants for admission" to the ‌United States are subject to mandatory detention while their cases proceed in immigration courts and ⁠are ineligible for bond ​hearings.

Bucking a long-standing interpretation of the law, the DHS last year - as part of President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown - took the position that non-citizens already residing in the United States, and not only those who arrive at a ⁠port of entry at the border, qualify as applicants for ​admission.

The Board of Immigration Appeals, which is part of the Justice Department, issued a decision in September that adopted that interpretation, leading to immigration judges nationally employed by the department to mandate detention.

Sykes in a ruling ⁠in December declared the DHS policy unlawful but stopped short of vacating the board's decision.

But she said it was clear further relief was needed after Chief Immigration Judge Teresa Riley issued guidance instructing her colleagues that they are not bound by Sykes' ruling and that they should continue following the board's decision.

Those ​immigration judges are employed by the Justice Department.

Sykes, in Wednesday's decision, criticized ⁠DHS for repeatedly and inaccurately suggesting that operations by U.S. Immigrationand Customs Enforcement were limited to targeting criminal ​non-citizens who were the "worst of the worst."

"Maybe that phrase merely mirrors ‌the severity and ill-natured conduct by the Government," Sykes ​wrote. "Even though these press releases might contain an inkling of truth, they ignore a greater, more dire reality."

(Reporting by Nate Raymond in Boston; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman and Stephen Coates)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Peru congress elects Jose Balcazar as new interim president
Exclusive-Germany seeking more F-35 jets as European fighter program falters, sources say
Russia's Lavrov warns against any new US strike on Iran
Trump basks in Black History Month praise, dodging racism claims
South Korea braces for verdict in ex President Yoon's insurrection trial
Top US commander makes surprise visit to Venezuela for security talks
North Korea's Kim Jong Un says new military goals to be set at party congress
Switzerland joins Sweden in women's curling semifinals at Milan-Cortina Games
Day 12 Roundup: China claims two snow golds, Norway's Klaebo extends Olympic gold record to ten at Milan-Cortina
Russia considers new restrictions against Cuba unacceptable: Putin

Others Also Read