UN convoy reaches Sudan's South Kordofan state to support over 130,000 people


KHARTOUM, Feb. 18 (Xinhua) -- A joint United Nations (UN) humanitarian convoy has reached the major cities of Dilling and Kadugli in Sudan's South Kordofan state, delivering life-saving aid to support more than 130,000 people, several UN agencies announced Wednesday.

It marks the first large-scale delivery to the area in three months, according to a joint statement by the World Food Programme (WFP), the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the UN Development Programme.

The convoy, comprising 26 trucks, transported over 700 metric tons of food commodities and 70 metric tons of medical supplies, it said.

"After weeks of delays and a difficult detour, these life-saving supplies, including food assistance, are finally reaching Dilling and Kadugli," said Makena Walker, acting country director for WFP in Sudan. "This shows what is possible when we can push forward with humanitarian convoys, even in extremely challenging conditions."

The UN agencies explained that intensified hostilities along the main El Obeid-Dilling-Kadugli route forced the convoy to halt for more than 40 days. It ultimately reached Dilling by navigating a longer and more difficult off-road passage.

"These supplies will allow UNICEF and our partners to continue lifesaving treatment for children suffering from severe acute malnutrition and to restore access to safe water, healthcare, and other essential services," said Sheldon Yett, UNICEF representative in Sudan.

The statement urged all parties to respect international humanitarian law and facilitate immediate, unimpeded humanitarian access to all civilians in need.

The two cities -- Kadugli, the capital of South Kordofan, and Dilling, the second-largest city in the state -- had been cut off from aid for over two years, leading to severe shortages of essential humanitarian supplies.

On Jan. 26, the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) announced it had entered Dilling. On Feb. 3, it declared it had broken the over-two-year siege of Kadugli imposed by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and their allied Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North.

Sudan has been engulfed in a power struggle between the SAF and RSF since mid-April 2023. The war has killed tens of thousands and created the world's largest displacement crisis.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Exclusive-Top US commander for Latin America makes surprise visit to Venezuela
North Korea's Kim Jong Un says new military goals to be set at party congress
Switzerland joins Sweden in women's curling semifinals at Milan-Cortina Games
Day 12 Roundup: China claims two snow golds, Norway's Klaebo extends Olympic gold record to ten at Milan-Cortina
Russia considers new restrictions against Cuba unacceptable: Putin
Ukraine imposes sanctions against Belarus' Lukashenko for aiding Russia's war
U.S. stocks close higher
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 18
Iran issues notice over planned rocket launches on Thursday
Some US troops departing Syria, official says

Others Also Read