Italian state broadcaster's sports boss quits after Olympic commentary backlash


FILE PHOTO: Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Opening Ceremony - Cortina d'Ampezzo, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy - February 6, 2026 General view as Sofia Goggia of Italy holds the Olympic torch after lighting the Olympic cauldron during the opening ceremony Pool via REUTERS/Stefano Rellandini/File Photo

ROME, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Paolo ⁠Petrecca has resigned as head of the sports division of Italian state broadcaster RAI, ⁠the company said on Thursday, two weeks after his error-ridden commentary at the ‌Winter Olympics opening ceremony triggered a revolt among its journalists.

Petrecca, who is close to Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni's Brothers of Italy party, faced widespread criticism for his performance and had already been barred by RAI from commentating at the ​closing gala on February 22.

At the opening ceremony, Petrecca muddled ⁠up the stadium hosting the event, ⁠confused an Italian actress for U.S. singer Mariah Carey and misidentified International Olympic Committee president Kirsty ⁠Coventry ‌as the daughter of Italy's head of state.

He also failed to recognise two well-known members of Italy's women's volleyball team taking part in the torch relay. He made ⁠comments about some of the national delegations that were widely criticised, ​including saying that Spanish athletes ‌were "always very hot" and that many Chinese athletes "naturally...have phones in their hands".

Petrecca has not ⁠spoken in public ​since the event. RAI management has also not responded to the controversy.

QUESTIONS RAISED ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT'S SWAY OVER RAI

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, said his commentary had dealt "a serious blow" to the company's credibility ⁠and last week called a one-day byline strike for ​all reporters. RAI sports journalists had announced that they would hold a three-day strike once the Games were over.

The row overshadowed RAI's Olympic coverage, and deepened long-running tensions over the direction of the public ⁠broadcaster since Meloni's coalition took office in 2022.

Opposition parties have rebranded the network "TeleMeloni", accusing the government of packing it with underqualified loyalists.

"Petrecca is the emblem of 'Telemeloni' and of the way the government has favoured political allegiance over merit," said Stefano Graziano, a lawmaker for the opposition Democratic Party, ​who sits on the RAI oversight committee.

"This approach has ultimately ⁠weakened the authority of RAI's journalism and, more broadly, of the entire system."

Government ministers have rejected criticism ​of their handling of RAI, saying the broadcaster had been ‌dominated for years by centre-left appointees, who were ​now angry about having to relinquish control.

RAI is the country's largest media organisation and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

(Reporting by Crispian BalmerEditing by Ros Russell)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Islamist militants show 'unprecedented coordination' in Burkina Faso attacks
Jose Balcazar, left-wing lawmaker, steps in as Peru’s interim leader
Pope Leo to spend US July 4 holiday on Italy's Lampedusa, known for migrant arrivals
Bulgaria's caretaker government takes over, pledges to secure conditions for fair elections
Poland can mine border within 48 hours after Ottawa Convention exit, PM says
Currently no plans to buy additional F-35 jets, Berlin says
Trump administration expands ICE authority to detain refugees
PKK militant group source says Turkish approval of peace roadmap is important step
Drought deepens hunger in northern Kenya as aid cuts bite
Police arrest King Charles' brother Andrew over misconduct relating to Epstein

Others Also Read