Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede


Royal Armed Forces and civil authorities work together to address flooding risks amid rising waters in the Loukkos River, in Ksar El Kebir, Morocco February 2, 2026. Moroccan authorities/Handout via REUTERS

RABAT, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Moroccan ⁠authorities began organising the gradual return of residents to the ⁠city of Ksar El Kebir and other flood-hit northwestern areas ‌as weather conditions improved, state media showed on Monday.

Authorities backed by the army had helped evacuate 188,000 people since early February, to protect them from overflowing river waters ​that swept across 110,000 hectares in the ⁠northwest.

Most residents of Ksar El ⁠Kebir, 213 km north of Rabat, are now allowed to return home, ⁠except ‌for those living in a few neighbourhoods, the interior ministry said on Monday.

INVESTMENT PLAN TO UPGRADE INFRASTRUCTURE

Train and bus rides ⁠were offered free of charge to help transport ​residents who had sought ‌shelter with relatives in other cities, or in centers and ⁠camps provided ​by authorities, state TV showed.

Morocco plans to spend 3 billion dirhams ($330 million) to upgrade infrastructure and support flood-affected residents, farmers and shop-owners in the inundated ⁠areas, the prime minister's office said last ​week, declaring the hardest‑hit municipalities disaster areas.

The Oued Makhazine dam, which had reached 160% of capacity, was forced to gradually release water downstream after exceptional ⁠inflows, leading to rising water levels in the Loukous river which inundated Ksar El Kebir and surrounding plains.

Rainfall this winter was 35% above the average recorded since the 1990s and three times higher than ​last year, official data showed.

Morocco's national dam-filling rate ⁠rose to nearly 70% from 27% a year earlier, with several large ​dams being partially emptied to absorb new ‌inflows.

The exceptional rainfall ended a seven-year ​drought that had pushed the country to ramp up investments in desalination.

(Reporting by Ahmed El Jechtimi; Editing by David Holmes)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Ecuador prison deaths climb again despite Noboa security strategy, data shows
French police raid Arab World Institute in Paris as Epstein fallout widens
Cyclone Gezani leaves 59 dead in Madagascar, displaces more than 16,000
Kremlin says main Ukraine issues will be discussed in Geneva talks, including territory
Russia says it downed 345 Ukrainian drones in 24 hours, took two villages
Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding IS-affiliated families
Ukraine got 4.4 million large-calibre rounds under Czech initiative, president says
Kremlin rejects European accusations it poisoned Navalny with dart frog toxin
Germany to extend border checks by six months, minister tells Bild
Ukraine prosecutors say former energy minister is suspect in kickback case

Others Also Read