Kuwait reports 13 deaths from alcohol poisoning


By Yin Ke

KUWAIT CITY, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- Kuwait's Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday that 13 people have died from poisoning caused by locally produced alcohol.

In a statement posted on social media platform X, the ministry said that since Saturday it had handled 63 cases of alcohol poisoning resulting from drinks contaminated with methanol.

The ministry explained that the cases varied in severity of symptoms, with several requiring admission to intensive care units. Thirty-one cases required the use of ventilators, while 51 cases required urgent kidney dialysis sessions. Twenty-one cases suffered permanent blindness or impaired vision. The infections have so far resulted in 13 deaths, the statement said. "All the poisoned individuals are of Asian nationalities."

The ministry added that it continues to monitor all cases around the clock and coordinate with relevant authorities to ensure necessary medical care, urging the public to immediately report any suspected poisoning cases to hospitals or designated hotlines.

A security source told Kuwait's Al-Rai newspaper that "a security team was formed to track the cases, and it was found that all victims had purchased locally produced alcoholic beverages from some Asian individuals in the Jleeb Al-Shuyoukh area of Farwaniya Governorate."

According to the report, 10 people were arrested during raids on the suspected locations.

Alcohol is banned in Kuwait, and its law prohibits the import and supply of intoxicating substances. Anyone who imports or manufactures alcohol for commercial purposes is subject to imprisonment in the country.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy

Others Also Read