South Korea, US to conduct major joint military drills starting August 18


By Jack KimHeejin Kim
SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA - AUGUST 7: (L to R) Col. Lee Sung-jun, public affairs director of South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff and Col. Ryan Donald, public affairs director of the United Nations Command (UNC), Combined Forces Command (CFC), and United States Forces Korea (USFK) attend the press briefing of Ulchi Freedom Shield 2025 exercise at the Defense Ministry on August 07, 2025 in Seoul, South Korea. The 11-day Freedom Shield is part of an annual combined training with troops from South Korea and the United States. Chung Sung-Jun/Pool via REUTERS

SEOUL (Reuters) -South Korea and the United States will conduct major joint military drills starting on August 18, officials said, although they will delay parts of the annual exercises that have been a source of tension with North Korea to later in the year.

The 11-day annual exercises, called Ulchi Freedom Shield, will be on a similar scale to 2024 but adjusted by rescheduling 20 out of 40 field training events to September, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesperson Lee Sung-jun said.

The allies agreed to reschedule some parts of the drill to next month over factors "including ensuring training conditions during extreme heat and maintaining a balanced combined defence posture year-round," Lee said at a briefing.

This year's drill will test an upgraded response to heightened North Korean nuclear threats as well as cutting-edge technologies used in modern wars, Lee said, citing conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East.

The exercise will include a scenario of a North Korean missile launch, but will not cover a potential nuclear test by Pyongyang, he said. The decision to spread out the scheduling included reasons such as extreme weather, Lee said, denying there were any political factors behind the move.

The drills are due to be staged as the new South Korean government of President Lee Jae Myung seeks to improve strained ties with Pyongyang and revive stalled dialogue with its neighbour.

A senior official from South Korea's Unification Ministry, which manages relations between the Koreas, said on Thursday that the delay in some training exercises was aimed at easing tensions with North Korea, the Yonhap News Agency reported.

Some analysts were sceptical about Pyongyang's response.

"North Korea won't be satisfied with the adjustment at all," said Cheong Seong-chang, vice president at the Sejong Institute in Seoul, a research centre on North Korean affairs.

"What the regime wants is the termination of the drills with the U.S., not a slight rescheduling," said Cheong.

On Monday, South Korea removed loudspeakers blasting anti-North Korea propaganda near its border with the North in a bid to lower friction with Pyongyang.

So far North Korea has rebuffed such overtures by Seoul.

Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, recently said that South Korea's decision to stop the broadcasts was "not the work worthy of appreciation," state media KCNA reported.

(Reporting by Jack Kim and Heejin Kim; Editing by Himani Sarkar, Ed Davies and Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

California avalanche: All nine victim bodies recovered
Two KLM aircraft collide on the ground at Schiphol Airport
Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland
OIC condemns statements by US ambassador to Israel
Trump hikes US global tariff rate to 15%
Australia rejects report it is repatriating families of IS militants from Syrian camp
5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya's capital Tripoli, police officer says
Islamic State claims two attacks on Syrian army, announces ‘new phase’ of operations
German duo Nolte/Levi defend Olympic title in 2-woman bobsled
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 21

Others Also Read