Ukraine, Russia attack each other's Black Sea coasts after latest round of peace talks


A view shows an apartment building hit by Russian drone strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Odesa, Ukraine July 24, 2025. REUTERS/Nina Liashonok

(Reuters) -Ukraine and Russia launched air attacks along each other's Black Sea coasts early on Thursday, hours after brief direct talks between them failed to make any progress on steps to end nearly three-and-a-half years of war.

Russian forces staged the latest in a series of mass drone attacks on Ukraine's Black Sea port of Odesa, injuring at least four people and causing several fires as well as damage in the historic centre, a UNESCO world heritage site.

The famous Pryvoz market in Odesa was among the places hit, Regional Governor Oleh Kiper said. "It is not just a place of trade, it is the living heart of Odesa," he added.

On Thursday morning, some residents were cleaning up shattered glass in the streets nearby.

"So what if the (drones) are flying? We will shoot them down; they will not break us," Yevhen, a 20-year-old student among those helping with the cleanup, told Reuters.

Emergency officials in Russia's Krasnodar region on the Black Sea said debris from a falling drone struck and killed a woman in the Adler district near the resort city of Sochi. A second woman was being treated in hospital for serious injuries, they said on the Telegram messaging app.

The administrative head of the Sirius federal district south of Sochi said a drone hit an oil base, giving no further details. Russia's aviation authority said operations were suspended at Sochi airport for about four hours.

Russia also attacked the central region of Cherkasy overnight, injuring seven people, including a nine-year-old, and damaging more than a dozen residential apartment buildings.

Negotiators had earlier discussed further prisoner swaps at a brief session of peace talks in the Turkish city of Istanbul, but they remained far apart on ceasefire terms and a possible meeting of their leaders.

"Yesterday, at a meeting in Istanbul, the Russian side was again presented with a proposal to immediately and completely cease fire. In response, Russian drones are striking residential buildings," Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy wrote on Telegram.

He said Russia had launched 103 drones and four missiles during its overnight attack, which deputy prime minister Oleskiy Kuleba said struck civilian infrastructure, including seaports, transport hubs, and residential areas.

Russian forces have in recent weeks intensified drone attacks on towns and cities far from the 1,000 km (620-mile) frontline across eastern and southern Ukraine.

Ukraine's military has been targeting energy and military sites in Russia in response to concerted Russian attacks which have destroyed towns and cities and devastated its energy infrastructure.

(Reporting by Reuters; Editing by Christopher Cushing and Philippa Fletcher)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

France allows culling of around 200 wolves to protect livestock
Germany's Merz vows to keep out far-right as he warns of a changed world
Spain's top court rejects father's bid to halt daughter's euthanasia
Germany's Merz says his conservatives will not partner with far-right AfD
Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation
Russia says no peace dialogue ongoing with Japan over territorial dispute
Over 5,000 women, girls killed in Ukraine since 2022, says UN
Europe's main military powers to develop low-cost air-defence systems
Trump ally ties up with Russia's Novatek on natural gas in Alaska, NYT reports
Police search royal mansion as investigation into king's brother goes on

Others Also Read