Congo, M23 rebels plan return to Qatar talks amid Trump pressure


FILE PHOTO: Members of the M23 rebel group ride on their vehicles after the opening ceremony of Caisse Generale d'epargne du Congo in Goma, North Kivu province in the East of the Democratic Republic of Congo, April 7, 2025. REUTERS/Arlette Bashizi/File Photo

(Reuters) -Congo's government and Rwanda-backed rebels said on Thursday they would send delegations back to Qatar for peace talks, as Washington pushes for an end to fighting that could help unlock billions in mining investments.

M23 holds more territory than ever before in eastern Congo after staging a lightning advance earlier this year. The fighting, the latest flare-up in a conflict with roots in the Rwandan genocide three decades ago, has killed thousands of people and displaced hundreds of thousands more.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
Ferreira claims men's freeski halfpipe gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
U.S. stocks close higher
Figure skating roundup: Shaidorov lands historic gold for Kazakhstan as China holds on with fifth in pairs
Rijpma-de Jong wins women's 1,500m gold at Milan-Cortina Winter Games (Updated)
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, vows new 10% levy

Others Also Read