Abrego Garcia severely mistreated in El Salvador prison, his lawyers say


FILE PHOTO: Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran migrant who lived in the U.S. legally with a work permit and was erroneously deported to El Salvador, is seen wearing a Chicago Bulls hat, in this handout image obtained by Reuters on April 9, 2025. Abrego Garcia Family/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT./File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Kilmar Abrego Garcia, the migrant returned to the U.S. in early June after being wrongfully deported to his native El Salvador, reported severe mistreatment in a high-security prison in the Latin American nation, according to a court filing on Wednesday.

WHY IT'S IMPORTANT

Wednesday's filing in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland marked the first time Abrego Garcia gave a first-hand description of his experience at the Salvadoran prison CECOT.

A Maryland resident whose wife and young child are U.S. citizens, he was deported on March 15 to El Salvador, despite a 2019 immigration court ruling that he not be sent there because he could be persecuted by gangs. Officials called his removal an "administrative error."

KEY QUOTE

"Plaintiff Abrego Garcia reports that he was subjected to severe mistreatment upon arrival at CECOT, including but not limited to severe beatings, severe sleep deprivation, inadequate nutrition, and psychological torture," his lawyers said in the filing, adding he lost 31 pounds in his first two weeks there.

CONTEXT

Critics of U.S. President Donald Trump pointed to the case as evidence his administration was prioritizing increased deportations over due process, the principle that people in the U.S., whether citizens or not, can contest governmental actions against them in courts.

Trump has pledged to crack down on illegal immigration and says Abrego Garcia belongs to the MS-13 gang - an accusation his lawyers deny. The Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday reiterated U.S. accusations against him in an online post.

The Justice Department brought Abrego Garcia back to the U.S. on June 6 after securing an indictment charging him with working with at least five co-conspirators as part of a smuggling ring to bring immigrants to the U.S. illegally.

He has pleaded not guilty and the government says it plans to deport him again. He is currently detained in Tennessee while his criminal case is pending.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Washington; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says
Ukrainians, scattered across Europe, trapped in limbo by war
Macron says US Supreme Court tariff ruling shows it is good to have counterweights to power in democracies
Analysis-Trump pushes US toward war with Iran as advisers urge focus on economy
Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power

Others Also Read